ECC Confusion

ITGeek
Posted
Posted (edited)

Final update and post for those who may encounter similar situation like mine in this thread.

I've attached a copy of my I-Card waiver letter for reference.

When I arrived at NAIA for my departure, the BI checkpoint worker wasn't trained on the I-Card waiver process and didn't recognize the document.  He needed a supervisor to confirm as I explained to them the document was bona fide.  I also showed them my 13a approval letter from BI as additional supporting documentation.   After 10 mins, they snapped my picture and exit (green) stamped the attached receipt with the I-Card waiver.

The next challenge was when I arrived at the Asiana Airline's SFO ticket counter to check-in for my return flight.   The Asiana agent asked if I return (or outbound) flight booked from Philippines.  I showed her my I-Card waiver, but she was confused about the document.  I pulled out my 13a approval letter showing her that I had resident status in PI's.  She then asked it I had a resident ID card (I-card).   So I had explain to her the I-Card waiver and 13a resident process.  That the PI's BI office was taking months to process my resident ID card (I-Card). 

All was good and made it back to bahay after travelling for 28 hrs straight.  I felt like Steve Martin in the movie "Plane's, Train's and Automobiles" and everyone else was the John Candy role.  Even the taxi driver from NAIA, thinking I was a "dumb Kano tourist" tried the full court press sell he would drive me to Cabanatuan for 5k PHP.   I then broke out in tagalog, "Hindi salamat, mas mahal, walang pera!  Sa 5star bus terminal Pasay po."

The key is to point out on the I-Card waiver that it shows "Single exit/entry" approval and that it is valid for 6 mo's.

I-Card Waiver (redacted).pdf

Edited by ITGeek
Attached document unmasked redacted info.
  • Like 5

• 5 years later...
Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
On 10/9/2017 at 8:40 PM, OnMyWay said:

With 13-A probationary status, you normally would get ECC-B at the airport.  Quote:

ECC-B is issued to departing holders of Immigrant and Non-Immigrant visas with valid ACR I-Cards and are leaving the country temporarily.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/emigration-clearance-certificate-ecc

I am on 13A probationary and this is what I did last May.

However, you need to ask BI what will happen if you don't get your ACR card in time.  They do take your ACR card at the airport and look at it as part of the ECC-B process.

I know thread is dated, but I have this exact issue when I need to leave to US for exactly 13 days in April for some medical follow ups, and have my extensions and ACR card.  Am I able to leave on that basis and keep the ACR card status when I return without having to start over again on the tourist visa process?   (As a side, I plan on starting the 13a once I return).

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Nickleback99 said:

I know thread is dated, but I have this exact issue when I need to leave to US for exactly 13 days in April for some medical follow ups, and have my extensions and ACR card.  Am I able to leave on that basis and keep the ACR card status when I return without having to start over again on the tourist visa process?   (As a side, I plan on starting the 13a once I return).

With a tourist visa and tourist ACR, everything is lost when you leave the country and you start over from scratch when you return.

I believe you don't need the ECC if you have been in the country less than 6 months.  Someone correct me if that is wrong.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Someone correct me if that is wrong.

The tourist ACR is good until the expiry date, if he comes back, but the visa extensions are lost.

• Like 3

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

THanks Don and Dave.  Reckon Asawa and I will either make a short Cheap trip out country when I return from US and  then get the BB stamp, then apply for the 13a a few months later vice wasting money on tourist extensions, or just apply immediately upon return from US, depending on family  moving matters at the time.  Looked at having her meet me in Korea on my trip back, but too many moving parts and if flights delayed for either of us, would be wasted ticket.   

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

With a tourist visa and tourist ACR, everything is lost when you leave the country and you start over from scratch when you return.

Nope, the ARC just continues from the date paid. Yes I have done this from my last exit and when extending the visa they ask for a card and nothing was paid until the date due. 

I believe you don't need the ECC if you have been in the country less than 6 months.  Someone correct me if that is wrong.

Yes correct, 6 months it is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Nope, the ARC just continues from the date paid. Yes I have done this from my last exit and when extending the visa they ask for a card and nothing was paid until the date due. 

Just curious, how far out is the expiration on those tourist ACR?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

They expire yearly from whatever date you got the ARC so if you take a trip out and say have 4 months left they do not charge you again until that time. That is my experience anyway. 

• Like 2

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

THe card itself is dated for 1 year expiration, which I just received it late Feb.  I've now been in country just over 3 months. 

• Like 1