Stairways in the Philippines

Castaway
Posted
Posted

When walking up stairways in the Philippines, I sometimes feel like I’m being tested to see if I’m an experienced mountain climber…  since the size of each of the steps is much larger than what I've became accustomed to in the States.

Capture.JPG

I guess that Filipinos find it thriftier to make fewer but larger steps when building staircases.

Am I the only one having difficulty with climbing up Filipino Steps?... or maybe my problem is because I'm not getting any younger.  :89:

• Like 2

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

I had the same question house hunting earlier this year! How do filipino families get their furniture to the 2nd floor when stairs are narrow, steep, and sometimes have more than one turn.

Castaway
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Nah

FB_IMG_1503222007442.jpg

I would be equally challenged by those stairs as well :mocking:

• Haha 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Happyhorn52 said:

How do filipino families get their furniture to the 2nd floor when stairs are narrow, steep, and sometimes have more than one turn.

I found out the hard way that they don't.

The solution is to buy furniture that is measured to fit up the stairs, OR to have it assembled on site, OR to have it disassembled in your front driveway, carried up piece by piece and reassembled, OR (as in may case) have it disassembled in your front driveway and then the workers f**k off an leave YOU to carry it up piece by piece and spend 2 days reassembling it on your own because no one else wants to touch it for they do not know how it should go back together.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Castaway said:

When walking up stairways in the Philippines, I sometimes feel like I’m being tested to see if I’m an experienced mountain climber…  since the size of each of the steps is much larger than what I've became accustomed to in the States.

Capture.JPG

I guess that Filipinos find it thriftier to make fewer but larger steps when building staircases.

Am I the only one having difficulty with climbing up Filipino Steps?... or maybe my problem is because I'm not getting any younger.  :89:

First seyt of stairs here for me were aweful, had great difficulty getting up and down the bloody things.  New  house, built by an Aussie, steps are fine and no problems.  But I get your drift.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

When visiting over the years, I can not count the number of times I almost killed my self on stairs in various houses we visited. When we built our house I insisted on western style incline and size. Our architect said "ah, senorita stairs!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

First drunken stumble down the stairs to the CR of my ex's two storey townhouse taught me a valuable lesson about ambition VS ability.  On the upside, my cardio improved.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

First drunken stumble down the stairs to the CR of my ex's two storey townhouse taught me a valuable lesson about ambition VS ability.  On the upside, my cardio improved.  

This is why I want a T&B on every floor in a house. :mocking: This prevents tumbling down the stairs in the attempt to get on the toilet in the night.

Great for people liking to get drunk all days. :hystery::whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

My observation on this is that the ceilings are higher and therefor a greater distance to be spanned but they still only use 13 steps.

• Like 4