Stairways in the Philippines

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

We had a view deck added above the lanai of our rental house.  After the stairs were built and I voiced my concerns to the contractor he demonstrated how to climb down the stairs.  He explained that by turning your body and feet sideways they would not hang over the edge of each step.  After tearing out and replacement the steps are much better now.  In the USA I believe the code calls for a 7/11 step.  Each step to me a minimum of 11 inch deep, each step to be a maximum of 7 vertical.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Nah

FB_IMG_1503222007442.jpg

At least there is no pesky hand rail to get in the way. :hystery:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The first place I ever stayed in Philippines had a 3 story apartment built by an American expat who had never built anything in his life but was a smart fellow so decided he was an instant expert at building apartments when he moved here to Philippines.  Some of the stuff he did was actually funny but crazy stupid and he would never get away with it in the real world, probably not even in Philippines of today.

Anyway, the stairs to the second story were steep but reasonably normal.  The stairs to the third story were just vertical.  He had not left any space for a staircase so it was more like a ladder, straight up and down, with a handrail and metal steps about 10 inches wide.  One of the tenants on the third floor was a handicapped fellow who walked with a cane and said he loved the stairs at it forced him to get exercise going up and down that ladder.  But it was hilarious watching him move his furniture in and out.  A bunch of filipinos with ropes lifting each piece up 3 stories and over the balcony. (Good thing he did not have a lot).

As the house was right on the sea, I have to wonder if that staircase has rusted away by now.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Mike J said:

We had a view deck added above the lanai of our rental house.  After the stairs were built and I voiced my concerns to the contractor he demonstrated how to climb down the stairs.  He explained that by turning your body and feet sideways they would not hang over the edge of each step.  After tearing out and replacement the steps are much better now.  In the USA I believe the code calls for a 7/11 step.  Each step to me a minimum of 11 inch deep, each step to be a maximum of 7 vertical.

That sounds about the same as the UK but here who knows what they will come up with.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

7/11 step. 

1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

That sounds about the same as the UK but here who knows what they will come up with.

:hystery: Again have we forgotten  where we are  7  11.jpg

Edited by Jack Peterson

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I don't care so much about the size of the steps for each staircase... I just wish they would be consistent on each step.  At the malls they are consistent, in most houses each step is an adventure. :tiphat:

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Lou49 said:

IMG_0747.JPG

Sod Trying to push a wheelchair up that ramp, even an Electric would struggle:89: Coming Down would get my attention:whistling:

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Lou49 said:

IMG_0747.JPG

A picture says a thousand words but I am gobsmacked by that picture.

Castaway
Posted
Posted

So many different types of stairs!... each with its own unique challenges!

But we Expats are a hearty bunch that can adapt to just about anything over here in the Philippines!

• Like 1