Halloween Display

Castaway
Posted
Posted

It looks like Halloween celebrations may be moving slowly but surely to the Philippines?

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Castaway said:

It looks like Halloween celebrations may be moving slowly but surely to the Philippines?

Welcome to the Philippines

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Castaway said:

Seems to me in Cebu it's common. 

• Like 1

Castaway
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Seems to me in Cebu it's common. 

Thanks!...I really didn't know that.

Maybe it will come to my part of the Philippines very soon?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Castaway said:

Maybe it will come to my part of the Philippines very soon?

If you have an SM Mall it should already be.  Google images for Halloween at SM Mall and there are loads of pics.  I don't find Halloween to have taken off beyond the commercial aspect as it conflicts with the All Saints Day at the cemetery celebration.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If you have an SM Mall it should already be.  Google images for Halloween at SM Mall and there are loads of pics.  I don't find Halloween to have taken off beyond the commercial aspect as it conflicts with the All Saints Day at the cemetery celebration.

As I posted last year, we have a big Halloween here on the old Navy base:

The house I posted above in the OP has the most elaborate decorations I have seen on any house, including the U.S.  My pictures don't do it justice.  I will get some better ones later.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Some areas in Cebu have had trick or treating for many years now.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Out here in the province Halloween is still unfamiliar, as the religious holiday traditions of All Saints Day and All Souls Day are huge.  In larger towns  and  cities in the north, like in Cebu City many malls encourage children to dress up and can go around getting candy from many stores. Maybe some rich subdivisions people might host Halloween parties or trick or treating in Cebu City.  Most mall activity/events would be held before All Saints/ All Souls Day though, out of respect for the religious traditions. At many malls, that might be the only time they are closed for the holiday in the year.

I suspect that this man being an American, is carrying on a tradition that he had back in the States, at great cost I'm sure. I'm amazed at how big the Halloween spending and extravaganza continues to become there!? 

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/21/halloween-spending-slated-to-hit-record-9-point-1-billion-nrf-says.html

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Queenie O. said:

I suspect that this man being an American, is carrying on a tradition that he had back in the States, at great cost I'm sure. I'm amazed at how big the Halloween spending and extravaganza continues to become there!? 

I agree with you Queenie.  What surprised me was how the popularity in the USA is being driven by adults!  Perhaps people see this as an opportunity to "get crazy" and step away from their everyday lives of work, tedium, and boredom??? :89:  I do (sort of) recall going trick or treating with a shot glass one year.  The details are a little hazy. :whistling:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1