Fear of being blacklisted (exaggerated?)

Philippines1
Posted
Posted

. i ve lived in the Philippines a few years (in total) , never overstayed or had any problem with immigration or anyone. recently im going through so many papers and stuff due to all bureucracy to try to take my family out of the country both with my country authority and local authority. i'm slightly worried (but to tell you the truth is probably just imagination) due to the tension in the country and the complete lack of rights, especially concerning immigration (see offloading, see bribes , corruption etc). while on a website i was complaining (in a polite way) about the post office there (they stole my package or better they stole the money and never sent the package----btw always ask for cash receipt.not only the tracking number...) and this guy messages me in very good english. we exchange opinions because he had also a problem with a package and one day i start venting to him in a message all the frustrations about philippine government and the rest. and i used the word " s..... government" " ignorants" and low scammers referred to some filipinos (in general). also saying about the good stuff there . after i sent i realized the guy was filipino . i noticed from a few of his posts in tagalog. i instantly deleted my account and my name was deleted from the website (infact my first name was the username) but my last name luckily was missing. In a case like this could a filipino report you to immigration for offending etc? on what gorunds?. i didnt offend him but i offended the country in some way.....it was in a private message though. i dont think anything happened but i need to return to the country soon and i need to do very important stuff. this thing was recent. i heard of foreigners putting comments online (facebook) and getting blacklisted but this was in a private message.i deleted my account but message stayed with him. he didnt have time to reply to me, he probably doesn't care but i would like to ask your opinion, thanks

if he still has the username he could find me in other sites where i posted and maybe eventually find out my full name....

anyway the situation in the country freedomwise is getting worse....foreigners have no rights....i have a baby there, definitely i cannot risk for stupid stuff like that. opinions  very welcome, thanks

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Yes I think you're a little paranoid but this situation is a remember in the future to keep your criticism to yourself.

Honestly some of the negative things you bring up a a little exaggerated in my experience but you have spent more time than I have.

We are generally polite and respectful in regards to the Filipino people and the government in this forum. Keep in mind we are visiting not citizens.

• Like 3

Philippines1
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Yes I think you're a little paranoid but this situation is a remember in the future to keep your criticism to yourself.

Honestly some of the negative things you bring up a a little exaggerated in my experience but you have spent more time than I have.

We are generally polite and respectful in regards to the Filipino people and the government in this forum. Keep in mind we are visiting not citizens.

well, i ve loved and love many things of the philippines  and i admit i have (peaceful) anarchist tendencies and this  doesn't fit with a country whose people are always used to say" yes po" and are not "trained" to reflect on social, clutural or political beliefs that they impose on them. it s just not them.

neverhteless i repeat it's a beautiful place(not just saying it like that, i mean it) with some beautiful people but to use an euphemism living there it is like driving in a trycycle during a semi flood. you have to avoid many obstacles and be on the lucky side.

i see so much human  injustice in this country and if we can't express ourselves freely as citizens or visitors it is definitely not for me . i agree. i was always respectful but sometimes we lose our wits. true what you say, better keep it by yourself or be anonymous

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Philippines1 said:

better keep it by yourself or be anonymous

And what about you? Are you being anonymous now with your postings? Where are you from? Where do you live? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Philippines1
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

And what about you? Are you being anonymous now with your postings? Where are you from? Where do you live? 

i didnt explain myself well i meant better keep it by myself. i referred to what he said. sorry if you misunderstooc

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I think you are greatly overreacting as previously  suggested.  But anyway, welcome to the forum.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Philippines1 said:

In a case like this could a filipino report you to immigration for offending etc? on what gorunds?. i didnt offend him but i offended the country in some way.

Not sure how likely this may affect you in this issue but it has reported that people are getting Warrants issued under the Cyber Laws. We have always said, here certainly, be careful what you say as you really never know who you are saying it to. I am no IT Techie  but from what I can gather if you are using a Home Connection they will find you through your ISP number(JGF?)  Recently I was explaining to my Daughter that anything you put on Social Media is not really safe, and is not all that Secret as it is Public, so voicing ones opinions on a Public system can come back and bite you. Friends of Friends and others watch and glean from us all, it is sad but that is the fact of life today

:508:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Philippines1
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Not sure how likely this may affect you in this issue but it has reported that people are getting Warrants issued under the Cyber Laws. We have always said, here certainly, be careful what you say as you really never know who you are saying it to. I am no IT Techie  but from what I can gather if you are using a Home Connection they will find you through your ISP number(JGF?)  Recently I was explaining to my Daughter that anything you put on Social Media is not really safe, and is not all that Secret as it is Public, so voicing ones opinions on a Public system can come back and bite you. Friends of Friends and others watch and glean from us all, it is sad but that is the fact of life today

:508:

very true what you said , we have to be careful. 

• Like 1

bob1965
Posted
Posted

Maybe slightly off topic...but I agree with jack. There's constantly articles about people having social media posts used against them. People losing their jobs. Insuarance companies cancelling policies. It seems wrong that it happens like that, but it does. So being a bit careful about what you post is a good idea. 

• Like 3

Philippines1
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, bob1965 said:

Maybe slightly off topic...but I agree with jack. There's constantly articles about people having social media posts used against them. People losing their jobs. Insuarance companies cancelling policies. It seems wrong that it happens like that, but it does. So being a bit careful about what you post is a good idea. 

yes again I agree. i read lots of stuff too. there was the case of that thai national that was handcuffed and deported and blackilsted because he had said humiliating things vs filipinos a bit as for being angry, a bit as a joke and a bit as a troll on his account on facebook. this thing made the news.....he lost his job he had in the philippines and he had to leave the country. he wrote a letter of excuses to immigration but that didnt work.

to remain on topic we should see if a private message could be used eventually as proof? but again i said it we cannot apply the same stancards of law of european countries to the philippines. in the philippines if you piss the wrong person off there is no way out it seems. my worry may be exaggerated but i cant afford to be blacklisted for any reason. i have my son there and i have an appointment at the embassy for his papers.....thats why i overreacted i think. thanks