Subic Bay Freeport Zone public transport

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

Are there public transport possibilities in the Subic Bay Freeport Zone available? The sources in the internet are quite sparse.

One source lists a bus company running up to 4 routes. Other sources lists only totally overpriced taxis. Few sources lists only a free shuttle to the Royal Duty Mall.

Can someone please bring some light into this?

bows00
Posted
Posted

Yeah, this is information I would to know also.  What is a convenient way to travel between Subic Freeport Zone and Barreto Beach? 

mogo51
Posted
Posted

From my experience, there are large buses doing 'long hauls' that pick up in Subic Freeport, but taxis only within that are rip off merchants.  Outside, jeepneys etc get you to shopping malls etc.  Don will be able to shed more light on this.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Dr. Shiva said:

Are there public transport possibilities in the Subic Bay Freeport Zone available? The sources in the internet are quite sparse.

One source lists a bus company running up to 4 routes. Other sources lists only totally overpriced taxis. Few sources lists only a free shuttle to the Royal Duty Mall.

Can someone please bring some light into this?

Public transportation inside the Freeport is quite sparse.  No jeepneys and trikes are allowed, except a few jeepneys that do not make stops on the way to Morong, etc.  If there are any buses, they go to the outlying areas outside the freeport.  The Royal Duty Free buses are free but you can only get on and off at CBD and the store.

Yes, taxis are expensive but there are a lot of them, so you might negotiate a flat rate.  Look at this:

http://subic.morefun.ph/subic-bay-taxis-whats-fair-fare/

I usually pay 150 from CBD to Kalayaan and it says 200 on that chart.  (about 5-6 km) Some of the taxis have a chart in the back seat.  I have only used taxis a few times so I am not an expert.

There is another service we call Windstar.  Small utility vehicles with bench seats in the back, no air con.  About p10 I think and they go on certain routes from CBD to neighborhoods and factories.  You can get on and off anywhere.  They do not go in the hotel areas.

8 hours ago, bows00 said:

What is a convenient way to travel between Subic Freeport Zone and Barreto Beach? 

You can take a taxi all the way or you can take a taxi to the  Kalaklan gate taxi terminal, walk across the bridge out of the freeport, then jump on a blue jeepney to Barreto.

If anyone has any specific questions, let me know and I will do my best to help.  From some of the hotels, you can walk to quite a few places.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted (edited)

What is this Central Business District (CBD)? Is there one in Olongapo and one in the Subic Bay Freeport Zone (SBFZ)? And where are both? I believe the one in Olongapo is near the public market and bus terminal while the one in SBFZ is near the Harbor Point Mall. Was looking for a route map of the winstar bus service, but there seems none around.

Edit: Is the Victory Liner going thru SBFZ also?  And if yes, is it allowed to ride it from Olongapo bus terminal to the SBFZ anywhere it passes thru?

Edited by Dr. Shiva

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)

We have always taken a jeepnee from the Victory liner terminsl to the main gate and walked across the bridge to harbour point. There was a bus stop at the back of SM but I think that disappeared when they extended.

Edited by Gary D

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Dr. Shiva said:

What is this Central Business District (CBD)? Is there one in Olongapo and one in the Subic Bay Freeport Zone (SBFZ)? And where are both? I believe the one in Olongapo is near the public market and bus terminal while the one in SBFZ is near the Harbor Point Mall.

Yes, this is correct.  See map below.  Green is Olongapo CBD, red is SBFZ CBD.  Victory Liner is right above the G in Olongapo.

Screenshot (54)_LI.jpg

1 hour ago, Gary D said:

We have always taken a jeepnee from the Victory liner terminsl to the main gate and walked across the bridge to harbour point. There was a bus stop at the back of SM but I think that disappeared when they extended.

That was the Saulog terminal behind SM and they moved to a new facility not far from Victory Liner.

They changed some streets to one way, so the jeepney trip you mention will be slightly different but can accomplish the same thing.  It first goes to the Manila Ave. bridge and you can get off there, or, continue to SM and get off there.  The two bridge crossings are marked with a red X and the one way streets are the red triangle.  Depending on where you are going, you might choose one or the other.  Victory is at the top above the G in Olongapo again. 

For Bows, the small blue circle in the lower left is where the taxi terminal is.  If you go across that bridge, take the blue jeepney in the direction of the blue arrow to get to Barretto.

Screenshot (56)_LI.jpg

Doc, you don't say where you are coming from.  If you are coming from Manila on Victory, make sure you get on the SCTEX express bus.  1-2 hours less than the others as it does not go through all the towns and make lots of stops.  It stops just once in Dau (Angeles City).  The SCTEX buses all stop at Harbor Point before going to the Victory terminal.  Actually you can ask to get off any place that is safe.  If you are coming from the north, there are no SCTEX buses so you have to stop in all the towns.  Those buses go to Victory Liner terminal.  At the terminal, I think you can ask to jump on a SCTEX southbound bus, which will stop at Harbor Point on the way to the SCTEX entrance.  I have not done this but I think they will let you.  If not, use yellow jeepney as per Gary's post and the map.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

Found this bus schedule from the winstar bus company. Who lives in Cubi will getting hit quite hard, because public transport ends 6 pm and they will have to rely on expensive taxi rides. Who have to rely on public transport better lives in Olongapo.

• 5 months later...
Dan77
Posted
Posted

Can you please tell us where the cruise ship dock in Subic?  How much would it cost to go to Tree Top Adventure from cruise ship dock?  Where can I find the free shuttle to Royal Subic Mall near cruise ship terminal?