What Watts are What?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, not so old china hand said:

It's a little bit ambiguous because it also says "Voltage Display Range 0V - 9999V"

Yes well since it's a 3 pin US plug I would think that is what it is designed for? 

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes well since it's a 3 pin US plug I would think that is what it is designed for? 

There is a universal version made:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ts836a-universal-plug-in-power-monitor_60454004888.html

One would hope (foolish I know) that this is the model that would be shipped.

Or buy the minimum order of 50 from the manufacturer and give one to each of one's friends:shades:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, not so old china hand said:

There is a universal version made:

It seems that these meters are not as easy to find the right one as it looks at first sight.

Most of the world that uses 220V (or close to it) seems to use 50 hz.  Here we use 220V with 60 hz.  I would imagine that makes a difference.  The universal version you mentioned says: 1.Operating voltage: 230V 50Hz

I did find one from Germany that says 270 V 60 Hz but I will search locally to see if I can find exactly the right item. Still searching . .

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It seems that these meters are not as easy to find the right one as it looks at first sight.

Maybe this.

https://www.mybenta.com/classified/129789/digital-watt%2C-volt%2C-amp%2C-power-meter-reader-use-for-home%2C-business-%26amp%3B-solar

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Maybe this.

I am looking for the specs on that item.  Every site I look at has this type of plug in Watt Meter but they are always for 220 -240 Volts 50Hz Like Aus, EU, China, or UK or they are 110-120 Volts 60Hz like Canada and US.  Philippines is really screwed up being one of the few countries that uses 220 volts with 60 Hz.  Obviously they build electronics for this market as my aircon has that rating.  But perhaps these plug in watt meters have not yet been standardized for Philippine V/Hz.  I say that because there are a ton of them for sale in Philippines but all are 50Hz and I do not know if that will screw up my aircon.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am looking for the specs on that item.

It appears to have a universal plug in part and it's here in the Philippines so one would think it would work. :whistling:

• Like 1

Mr-T
Posted
Posted

Seems like you should get the unit service like Jake suggested. You mentioned it is a older unit. The motor use in the unit is a single phase motor. (two wire) single phase motors have a starting  and a running winding. (coils) Most single phase motors have a capacitor (extra power) connected to the starting winding, most likely the capacitor is shot. (No good) would not be surprise if that is the problem. Capacitor hold a charge just like a battery does and do have a life period. 

When the motor starts both windings are energised, when the motor reach about 90 % of rated speed the starting winding disengage and the running winding takes over. Inside the motor there is a centrifugal switch which operates on centrifugal force and there is a starting winding electrical contact which this switch operates (open and close.). Could be a dirty starting switch also which would render the starting winding useless. If the capacitor is not good the starting winding will eventually burnt out. Could be a number of different things. The starting current is about three times the running current of the motor.

Most likely the problem is with the motor in the unit and not the generator. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am looking for the specs on that item.  Every site I look at has this type of plug in Watt Meter but they are always for 220 -240 Volts 50Hz Like Aus, EU, China, or UK or they are 110-120 Volts 60Hz like Canada and US.  Philippines is really screwed up being one of the few countries that uses 220 volts with 60 Hz.  Obviously they build electronics for this market as my aircon has that rating.  But perhaps these plug in watt meters have not yet been standardized for Philippine V/Hz.  I say that because there are a ton of them for sale in Philippines but all are 50Hz and I do not know if that will screw up my aircon.

How about this one,  It seems to handle everything:

http://www.lazada.com.ph/us-plug-digital-lcd-electric-power-energy-meter-voltage-wattage-current-monitor-consumption-cost-analyzer-overload-protection-intl-43114692.html?spm=a2o4l.search.0.0.FBOCn2&ff=1

Specifications:
Plug Type: AU Plug / UK Plug / US Plug / EU Plug(optional)
Color: White
Operating Voltage: AC240V(AU) AC230V(EU) AC230V(UK) AC120V(US)
Max Operating Current: 16A
Current Range: 0.01A-19.999A
Power Range: 1W-3680W
Indication of Frequency: 46Hz-65Hz
Measurement of Consumption: 0.00kWh to 9999.99kWh
Duration of Indication: up to 9,999 hours 59 minutes
Item Size: 12 * 6.3 * 7.5cm / 4.72 * 2.48 * 2.95in
Item Weight: 150g / 5.3oz
Package Size: 9.2 * 7.5 * 13cm / 3.62 * 2.95 * 5.12in
Package Weight: 200g / 7.05oz

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Castaway said:

Whenever I'm buying a new Aircon,  I always need to convert the HP amount into BTU's first... since determining the strength of any Aircon solely on the HP number  just rolls over my head... but the number of BTU's gives me a clear idea of the power of an Aircon unit.

If you divide BTUs by 3412 it should give you the KW.

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

How about this one,  It seems to handle everything:

Thanks.  I was looking at a few "universals" like that, but when I look close they usually say 50 Hz when operating at 220+ Volts and 60 Hz when operating at 110 -120 volts.  That seems to be the standard.  But I will look more closely at that one.  

But for now I will give it a rest and look in the local hardware stores tomorrow.  Oh that's right, may be closed tomorrow because of some kind of strike.  Well we shall see.