Question concerning Direct Deposit

Rich LeMin
Posted
Posted

Can anyone tell me what I should do since I have no Bank Account  for my Soc Sec Check to be deposited into?

What can be done and how do I do it? Naturally I need to have access to my monthly check. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Do you mean you have no bank account in any country and are unwilling or unable to open one?

roddavis
Posted
Posted

I take it your currently living here in Cebu. To open a bank account here, you would at least be/have your name on a utility bill because

the bank will ask for one as proof of residency along with possibly a 13a visa (depends on the bank). The other idea if you can't open a USA bank account
is an online bank with checking/savings. Then either use ATM, or wire transfer service for cash pickup here(ie World Remit, Remitly. or Xoom)

Query google for online banking, or if you are a Vet, I use USAA online for Soc Sec deposits, then wire transfer for cash pickup in Cebu.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Rich LeMin said:

I have no Bank Account 

Welcome to the forum, this isn't meant to be a smart ass comment,,,,but,,,you really need to open a bank account.

Almost everything the US government does now is electronic. My troops in the Army were required to have a direct deposit. In order to receive a hard check they had to bring in memos from three different banks saying why they could not open a bank account. Only then was the check mailed to them.

I have serious doubts that they would mail a hard check over seas. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Rich LeMin said:

What can be done and how do I do it?

There is something here about getting a Direct Express Card which is a prepaid debit card and you can get direct deposit to that and use it at an ATM.  Read more here:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10073.pdf

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

There is something here about getting a Direct Express Card which is a prepaid debit card and you can get direct deposit to that and use it at an ATM.  Read more here:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10073.pdf

That has a 3% int'l withdrawal fee so not a good option for someone living outside the U.S.

• Thanks 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I know some expats that have their money sent direct deposit to a local bank, and others that have it sent to their US bank.  There are pros and cons to each, but you definitely need a bank account.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Rich LeMin said:

Can anyone tell me what I should do since I have no Bank Account  for my Soc Sec Check to be deposited into?

What can be done and how do I do it? Naturally I need to have access to my monthly check. 

Too much missing info. Are you currently receiving SS? Have you notified SS you are living in the Philippines? Do you have a bank acct?

SS benefits for those living in the Phils is administered by the Social Security office at the US Embassy in Manila. I would start with them, but you are definitely going to need a bank acct. This is their contact info, as I recall they only answer between 2 - 4pm but you can leave a message and they will return your call. Or email. 

(632) 301-2000 ext. 9
Fax: (632) 708-9723 and (632) 708-9714
E-Mail: FBU.Manila@ssa.gov

Rich LeMin
Posted
Posted

I had a Direct Deposit account in the U.S.A -But have had many major problems  with that account . I need to know I'll have access to the funds from my Soc Sec without delay . I'm going to see if I can get a  Direct Express  card as recommended by another Expat .. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Rich LeMin said:

Direct Express  card as recommended

Please keep in mind there is a difference between pointing out your options and recommending it.

Many expats who live full time in Philippines set up a Philippine bank account and have their money direct deposited to that account.  If you do not live full time in Philippines you may still want to set up a Philippine bank account to transfer your money to.   For example, supposing you had your Soc Sec deposited to a Direct Express card (an option not a recommendation).  There are companies such as Transferwise that will accept money from your debit card, exchange it to Pesos at a fair rate, and deposit it in your Philippine bank account.  When I have used Transferwise to do that, the money is here inside 48 hours but their fee is about 1% higher than normal for that service.

• Like 2