Transfer US Social Security to Philippines?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

OMW is on the money as usual.

I had to notify SS that I was living in the Phils because there was a dependent benefit for our child as well and there was no getting around it. They interviewed us in Cebu City, came to the house to verify, talked to neighbors, the whole 9 yards. If you have no dependents it's really a coin toss imo. The only downside I can think of to telling SS you're in the Phils is you have to do the "proof of life" form once a year and that's no big deal, you have 60 days to get it back to them.  

The banks are a different matter; the US banks don't want you if you're living in a 3rd world country rife with fraud. The Philippine banks don't want you because of all the FACTA crap. I had the SS direct deposited in US banks and never told the banks I was living in the Phils. I used a mail-forwarding service in Florida for the address and never had a problem. I had Philippine bank accounts but used a US-based HSBC account to withdraw cash because the fees were minimal.

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I would be very careful with Medicare.  It sounds to me like he is committing fraud.  I'm fairly certain he would have to cook up a good story to collect a Medicare benefit while living here for 5 years.

I suppose the fraud would be ultimately in claiming that you're a resident of the US when actually you're technically a resident of the Philippines. But once they accept that you are a US resident...

As Mike B accurately said, claiming benefits for other family members automatically forces your hand.

Edited by davewe

mogo51
Posted
Posted

dave, I think the moral of the story here as on post said, if it ain't broken don't try and fix it. I save them money every month as they don't pay me a rental assistance nor other benefits that they pay pensioners residing in Australia.

• Like 1

Mr-T
Posted
Posted

Well this is how i does it. Both my pensions private and SSI is deposited into my Bank of America account. Wife and child the same from SSI. Changed my address to the Ph. address with both SSi and private pension, even my credit card i changed address to the Ph. So far nine yrs. now with never a problem. Medicare knows where i am. No problem getting my mail here.

So not a big deal.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Before we get too confused with acronyms, SSI is Supplemental Security Income, it is a Social Security benefit available to some low-income individuals. It is not Social Security Retirement. Except in rare cases you cannot receive SSI benefits if you live outside the US for more than 30 days.

As for the banks, I had one US bank close a checking account when they found out I was living in the Phils and Fidelity warned me they would do the same unless I provided a valid US residence. Closing the acct caused a big problem because I was receiving SS and a pension direct deposit in it. All banks have different security policies that can change on a whim; bottom line, most don't want your business if you are living permanently in the Phils. But if you have a couple million in one of their "high interest" savings accts I'm sure they can make an exception.:whistling:

• Like 4

Mr-T
Posted
Posted

Sorry i meant social security benefits (pension) not SSI.

• 4 months later...
BigEn
Posted
Posted

I am U.S.  Started my SSA benefits in the Philippines at an U.S. Embassy outreach in Angeles, 3 years ago.  I use the U.S. military FPO address provided by RAO Angeles.  My sister-in-law checks my mail there and LBC's to me in the province.  My benefits and my minor son's are deposited into a U.S. bank.  We get a proof of life form (to fill out and return within 60 days) every year at the beginning of my birth month.  I have yet to see a designated representative payee report for my son's benefits.  I guess it does not apply for direct relatives.  My biggest regret, I guess, is to pay all my credit cards off, now I have no credit record in the US.  Keep smiling.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, BigEn said:

I am U.S.  Started my SSA benefits in the Philippines at an U.S. Embassy outreach in Angeles, 3 years ago.  I use the U.S. military FPO address provided by RAO Angeles.  My sister-in-law checks my mail there and LBC's to me in the province.  My benefits and my minor son's are deposited into a U.S. bank.  We get a proof of life form (to fill out and return within 60 days) every year at the beginning of my birth month.  I have yet to see a designated representative payee report for my son's benefits.  I guess it does not apply for direct relatives.  My biggest regret, I guess, is to pay all my credit cards off, now I have no credit record in the US.  Keep smiling.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service!

I will begin collecting SS later this year and your post stirred up a few questions:

1.  Does one have to be military or ex-military to get a PO BOX at RAO?  It was suggested that any American can get one.

2.  Is your minor son in the Philippines?

3.  Comment:  I kept one credit card and it keeps my credit good!

Thanks!

BigEn
Posted
Posted

My minor son is in the Philippines, has report of birth abroad, U.S. Passport and SSN.  Here is what the RAO website, Section II indicates:  

FPO:  MILITARY RETIREES AND RETIRING ACTIVE DUTY PERSONNEL WHO PLAN TO ARRIVE IN THE PHILIPPINES WITHIN 15 DAYS MAY CHANGE THEIR MAILING ADDRESS  TO:  NAME

PSC 517 BOX R C

FPO AP 96517-1000

• Like 1

BigEn
Posted
Posted

For those wondering, I was U.S. Army, 20 years, E-9, Personnel/AG Corps retired 1992.  Chairborne.