Leeching Lime

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

As I suspected when they were applying it, the "painters" subcontracted by our builder didn't use the correct amount of lime neutralizer-to-water ratio when they treated the walls prior to painting and now every room in the house has lime bloom (efflorescence) through the paint.

Does anyone know of a cure for this? We were just going to paint over it but I believe it will just bloom anew.

20171021_121106~01a.jpg

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

Does anyone know of a cure for this? We were just going to paint over it but I believe it will just bloom anew.

We had this problem in 1 Room recently, so we washed the walls with neutralizer then again eith Muriatic Acid, then Flat paint then colour, so far it has worked, Sugar soad would have done the Trick But alas, I could find none here in the PI :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
jimeve
Posted
Posted

efflorescence treatment, city hardware and ask the guys there for efflorescent treatment. 

• Like 4

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info, we just finished plastering the ancestral home and I was just going to apply a sealer then undercoat, then top coat. The old saying fits, horses for courses, if you don't know what you're doing, it can become expensive.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Clermont said:

we just finished plastering the ancestral home and I was just going to apply a sealer then undercoat,

This where the problem Starts, you need to neutralize the Finish and Kill that concrete surface before you do anything applying just a sealer may well do just that seal it in then it will just come back time after time.

• Thanks 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Boysen brand acritex sealer is great for sealing moisture out and creating a great. base. We have never had any problems with any of our wall paint surfaces. Boysen paint can be more expensive than some, but well worth it in results. It seems in spite of many precautions though, some areas/weather conditions of the Philippines just seem to wreak havoc on house surfaces.

• Like 3

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, jimeve said:

efflorescence treatment, city hardware and ask the guys there for efflorescent treatment. 

I will, thanks!