Nursing Shortage Again In USA.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Mike J said:

1 hour ago, scott h said:

Now at least in the States, Filipino nurses are not considered qualified to work as Registered nurses and work in mainline hospitals,

I have not heard this, can you supply a source? 

Best source I have Mike is two nieces who were graduated nursing school here in Manila. One lived with me and worked at a convalescent hospital while took 2 or 3 additional courses needed to be an RN in California. She then got a job at a regular hospital and now works at the County Jail medical facility. The 2nd niece who is in the states, graduated from same university here in manila, married a yank. They move to Arizona where she worked again in a convalescent hospital. They then moved to Los Angeles, where she is working in a convalescent hospital while taking courses to become RN qualified in California. The niece in Australia got a nursing degree here in Manila, moved to Sydney, worked in a Chinese restaurant while she finished up some requirements that the Aussies needed and now is a surgical nurse. 

can I link on line sources? Nope, but this is just my personal first hand experience. Could the girls gone to second rate nursing schools? Yep that's possible, but I don't think so. One father works for the Philippine State Department and the other was a executive with a major pharmaceutical company, so I don't think they would be sending their kids to a second rate school.  So I think 3 out of 3 is a pretty good representation. 

Just my personal experience is all 

And qualifications might vary from state to state, county to country, I just don't know

Edited by scott h

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

As a brit I can't say much about the US system but recently in the UK a large hospital Interviewed nearly 200 Filipino Nurses for Jobs, 80+% of which failed the English test :89: The Said Hospital have re Advertised the Positions.:whistling: saying they will NOT drop the Standards:huh:

Medway Maritime Hospital in Kent said 52 out of the 59 candidates had failed one or more of the listening, reading, writing and speaking tests. According to a Freedom of Information (FOI) request 202 nurses are being recruited from the Philippines. The NHS trust said the failed candidates intend to re-sit thetests.Sep 26, 2017

Full story;

https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=philippino+nurse+sfail+english+test&rlz=1C1GIWA_enPH638PH638&oq=philippino+nurse+sfail+english+test&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.11295j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Edited by Jack Peterson
Added source
  • Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

My last partner is a manager in a care home in Scotland and she employs 3 Filipino trained nurses as ancillaies as she says their standards aren't the same level as a UK trained nurse. They have the option of further tdaining to gain UK qualifications. 

She backs me 100% in that we should employ and train home grown talent. The problem is there's no incentive when social benefits are so high to sit on your butt. 

You only have to ask around and most people will know of someone dying here due to poor medical treatments due to the good ones abandoning ship and heading overseas. This includes ex pats. How many times do we read about horror stories in local hospitals or ex pats flying home for treatment? 

I'm sure if there was a ban on raping poor countries of their nurses the wealthy Governments would find the money to pay suitable wages and to train homegrown talent. 

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

As an add onto the above comment when I was in Manila Medical getfing physio the physiotherapist was telling me all her sisters were trained nurses and had gone to New Zealand to work. She was looking to join them. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

a ban on raping poor countries of their nurses

With all the filipina nurses working in Philippine hospitals for free, OJT, just to get experience and get to another country:  Well ya can't rape the willing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, scott h said:

And qualifications might vary from state to state, county to country, I just don't know

It is the same situation in Oz regarding recoognition of qualifications for Nurses from Philippines, wanting to work in Oz, they all go through exactly the same path as suggested in your post, as there existing qualifications are not recognized.  They have to do further studies to qualify as an RN in Oz.

Edited by mogo51

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

With all the filipina nurses working in Philippine hospitals for free, OJT, just to get experience and get to another country:  Well ya can't rape the willing.

I'm not knocking the Filipinos for wanting to better their lives I'm against rich countries looking for an opt out of training and encouraging their own people. We've seen what open borders have done to the job market in the UK. Now sponging off the state is looked on as a better option than working. Somehow being unemployed is better than lowering your level by accepting a job that they see is demeaning to a benefit scrounger. 

It's not only Filipinos though. There's been a major shortage of nurses and docfors due to UK trained personnel going to the likes of the USA and Australia for a better lifestyle. Its almost as if we want to reduce our standards. 

MikeB
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, scott h said:

Now at least in the States, Filipino nurses are not considered qualified to work as Registered nurses and work in mainline hospitals

I have researched this for my wife who is currently a Certified Nursing Asst (CNA). States have different licensing requirements, what may be true in your state doesn't necessarily apply to all. There are MANY Filipino nurses working as RNs in the states in all kinds of medical facilities. I just read 20% of RNs in California are Filipino.

In most states they need a nursing degree, pass the NCLEX-RN and an English proficiency test (TOEFL) to become a licensed RN in that state. Some states require them to pass the Philippine Nurse Licensure Examination before taking the NCLEX.

The biggest hurdle they face is that the number of work visas was greatly reduced in 2006 and the current administration has imposed additional requirements that make it very difficult. A lot have given up on the US and gone to Canada and other friendlier countries.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I believe all of the nurses coming to the UK, unless going to a nursing home, also go through  period of training. Philippines hospitals often don't have the up to date equipment found in Western hospitals. 

KC813
Posted
Posted

Although there are some very slight variances in different U.S. jurisdictions, there are no legal restrictions on the type of facilities where Ph RNs can work.  There is sometimes a problem that the Ph-educated RN did not receive the specific training and certifications required for some positions, which will require additional training obtained in the US.

Despite all the sign-on bonuses and paid schooling and scholarships, the US cannot graduate enough nurses to meet its needs. 

The need for RNs in nursing homes is especially high, mainly because that is not where most US RNs want to work!

Still, many acute care hospitals will bring in Ph RNs, but they often require extensive orientation because of the differences between the Philippine and U.S. healthcare procedures and systems.

• Haha 1