Nursing Shortage Again In USA.

KC813
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, marine6357 said:

To gain entry to the US as a nurse you must first apply to a states Board of Nursing, who will then allow the prospect to take the NCLEX exam which the licensing exam , next is to take Ietls or Toefl which are English language proficiency test. Once they pass those they can then apply for H-1b visa to work in the US. It is a very long process which usually takes a year or more for the whole process.

You are right about there being a lot of special steps and requirements before an RN can come to the U.S. based on a job offer.

Decades ago, an RN degree was an easy ticket for a temporary work visa to the US.  RNs had their own category, H-1A, but that expired in 1995.  H-1A was then replaced by a more restrictive category, and that expired in 2009.

You mentioned H-1B temporary visas, but an H-1B for a nurse coming directly from the Ph is extremely rare.  The short explanation is that for an H-1B, the job must require, not just prefer, at least a 4 year degree, and 49 states still license RNs with just a 2 year degree. while some advanced or specialty nursing positions require a bachelor’s or masters, very few RNs in the Ph meet the training requirements for those positions and those jobs are easier to fill from the available workforce.

Nowadays 99.?% of Ph RNs immigrating to the US based on a nursing job come on immigrant petitions from the employer, not as temporary workers, but it still takes 2-3 years!

• Thanks 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
On 10/21/2017 at 5:28 PM, ClearSky said:

As en engineer,   would vote to also leave the engineers.  Our salary goes up if companies need to compete,  it does down if there is easy access to lower cost.  No complaint against the companies or the workers.:morning1:

Maybe so........bet if we brought more lawyers their pay would go up too.  When I was in high school there were more attorneys than gas station attends ( probably more congressmen now) of course the only good one is mine ( attorney not representative)..don't have a service station attendant  heard New Jersey has a couple though.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, scott h said:

Best source I have Mike is two nieces who were graduated nursing school here in Manila. One lived with me and worked at a convalescent hospital while took 2 or 3 additional courses needed to be an RN in California. She then got a job at a regular hospital and now works at the County Jail medical facility. The 2nd niece who is in the states, graduated from same university here in manila, married a yank. They move to Arizona where she worked again in a convalescent hospital. They then moved to Los Angeles, where she is working in a convalescent hospital while taking courses to become RN qualified in California. The niece in Australia got a nursing degree here in Manila, moved to Sydney, worked in a Chinese restaurant while she finished up some requirements that the Aussies needed and now is a surgical nurse. 

can I link on line sources? Nope, but this is just my personal first hand experience. Could the girls gone to second rate nursing schools? Yep that's possible, but I don't think so. One father works for the Philippine State Department and the other was a executive with a major pharmaceutical company, so I don't think they would be sending their kids to a second rate school.  So I think 3 out of 3 is a pretty good representation. 

Just my personal experience is all 

And qualifications might vary from state to state, county to country, I just don't know

They can work here if they pass the state boards.  These differ from state.  The ones we know here in Florida take a refresher course of 3 months to one year. Some don't pass and sit for lpn test.  We know at least 6-8 RNs that have passed.  

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, KC813 said:

Despite all the sign-on bonuses and paid schooling and scholarships, the US cannot graduate enough nurses to meet its needs.

Have you actually checked into all these scholarships and paid schooling? From what I read they are very limited and most require either being a minority or military service. Quite a few are loans disguised as "scholarships". The nursing associations are warning graduates to be very careful accepting sign-up bonuses and committing to years of working for a less then reputable facility. 

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

My youngest is working as a nursing assistant ,she starts at 7am and finishes at 10pm ,she helps old folks in their homes

She started down the nursing route after doing a degree as a sports physio ,then she had few problems and bailed out of university 

She is now planning on returning to proper nursing ,our NHS has noticed that some of our youngsters are not keen on student loans etc so they are now offering nursing apprenticeship to applicants 

Not all of our young people are bone idle ,I have three kids ,two are doing well in management and the youngest is trying

• Like 1