Holding a grudge

mogo51
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Queenie O. said:

Steve--Best to just let it roll off and not add to it.

Whist this may appear to be the best option, if as  suggested by Dave this particular person is 'whacking' his wife etc., then I see little value in letting it continue.  I suspect she might agree.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

'whacking' his wife etc., then I see little value in letting it continue.  I suspect she might agree.

Not too sure about this Ron, from what I have learned over the years here, it seems to be a common thing and Hidden in the family, We have some of this in our Barangay and the wife only comes out of the House when the Bruises are gone. It is bad but it is what it is and many families do not like intervention in Domestics, The Wife always seems to side with the Husband in the end. So for me keep your head down and let them get on with it and keep your peace of mind to get on with your own Life :thumbsup:

JMHO here :smile:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

if as  suggested by Dave this particular person is 'whacking' his wife etc., then I see little value in letting it continue.  I suspect she might agree.

Unfortunately, in the many instances I have seen where a filipino hits his wife, the victim does not seem to want to be rescued.  You can get her out of the situation for a short time but she will go right back to him the moment she has a chance.  This is not just me, as a foreigner, trying to help.  I saw the same situation where my ex's mother tried to help her sister (who was being beat up bad by her husband).  But the sister kept going back to him.

So remaining quiet, in this culture, is the best option because you cannot help those who do not want to be helped.

EDIT:  I do not know, and cannot know, if Steve's sister-in-law is in this situation.  I do know this behavior is common and there is a better than average chance that it might be the case.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Petty gossip among families, friends neighbors  is a very common occurrence here for many it seems. Old grudges surface from time to time, and are not often resolved.  In the Western world many times  if a person has a difference or disagreement or if a person feels slighted or hurt in some way, they will speak directly and frankly  to that person to try to come to some mutual understanding or to iron things out. It doesn't always work, but clearing the air helps people at least it seems and it's a way of moving on from an issue.  In the Philippines for many folks, gossip behind the  person in question's back, and spreading a real or untrue story about someone is a way of sanctioning a person without having to face them and deal with realities that they might have some guilt or part in. If that gossip gets back to the person, they will no longer feel so responsible because it has been hashed over by so many other people already.

I even see my husband sometimes get involved with gossip in the family/old neighborhood now while living here now,  it is so firmly ingrained in the culture, and such a national pastime for many it seems. People forget though, that when they walk away, they are now fodder for the next grudge or jealousy, sour grapes driven gossip, be it true or not.:smile:

Steve--Best to just let it roll off and not add to it.

Queenie , you are like a agony aunt, I write something on here and you give a honest and a caring answer, i am not saying the men dont but coming from a lady it does sound so different .:smile:

Edited by stevewool
spelling
  • Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Whist this may appear to be the best option, if as  suggested by Dave this particular person is 'whacking' his wife etc., then I see little value in letting it continue.  I suspect she might agree.

The family have tried to tell the sister to leave for what ever reason many times but she is still with him and working very very hard so he can live the life and send money back for his family, like a few have said some people seem to stay with what we see as a bully because when they are not drunk and abusive they are nice.:89:

Remember this is what i have been told and what i have seen myself, " not the bruises or hitting"

• Thanks 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone, its better to vent my anger to the screen then to him as you say, he will never change , but it has put myself and where i am wanting to live in my thoughts much more .

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, stevewool said:

but it has put myself and where i am wanting to live in my thoughts much more .

Of course Steve this no just geared for the Fils, this problem is Worldwide so please never let this sway you at all

5 minutes ago, stevewool said:

" not the bruises or hitting"

Usually behind closed doors so no one ever really sees the Bully but Tsmis is Tsimis :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Here in Oz, you can't even call your wife derogatory names, let alone lay a hand on them, it's called domestic violence and the women doesn't have to lay the charge, the police do it if by talking to neighbors, witnesses in the vicinity and if they think you have a case to answer, your gone. It's called a DVO and if you have one of them against you, do not waste your time to apply for a partner visa to Australia, new immigration laws. So all you HE men out there, " don't burn your bridges when you're young, at a later age you might want to go back over that Bridge". By the way it applies to she cats as well, if you're going to biff you're no good husband, make sure there's no witnesses.

• Like 1