Kids Monthly Allowance

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

Do you give your spouse/girlfriends kids a monthly allowance to teach them how to handle money.  If so, at what age do you start and how much do you give them.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Wow.  What a great question.  Do you refer to the ones living with you and spouse/gf?  What if you are not actually living with gf?  What if her kids are not living with her but stay with mom,or her ex, or another relative?  Another question is:  If you start, at what age do you stop? What do you expect the kid to do with the allowance, (because many are taught that they have to give a part of any money they have to relatives).

For me to answer the question I have to say I have never given an allowance to any spouse/gf's kids anywhere except in the one case where I married a Canadian girl and treated her daughter like my own adopted daughter.  That is the only time.  And then she got whatever her "legitimate" brother got.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Happyhorn52 said:

Do you give your spouse/girlfriends kids a monthly allowance to teach them how to handle money.  If so, at what age do you start and how much do you give them.

:89: Easy and hard at the same time, to answer, Mine was 7 when I came on the scene and I was giving her 50 peso per day from which she had to buy her school Lunch, If she overspent on candy she had to go without Lunch, She learned quickly :smile:

As time went on we upped it to fall inline with the school changes and food charges over age to 75 peso, Now at 18 she gets 1.500 per month and she is pretty good at sorting the needs from wants.  Anything special, well we negotiate with her always seeming to win :huh:

• Like 5

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

Dave you're making this way too complicated. I was talking about my girlfriends kids who are 5 and 6 and are now living together in my apartment. I will worry about when to stop somewhere down the road. I also would like suggestions about what chores you require them to do to earn the allowance.

• Haha 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

As time went on we upped it to fall inline with the school changes and food charges over age to 75 peso, Now at 18 she gets 1.500 per month and she is pretty good at sorting the needs from wants.  Anything special, well we negotiate with her always seeming to win :huh:

So Jack you're an old softy, I think your daughter knows you're not really Kuripot, the female species seem to sense this and play on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Clermont said:

So Jack you're an old softy, I think your daughter knows you're not really Kuripot,

Sprog.jpgover there.jpg She knows just how to handle "Daddy"

• Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

She knows just how to handle "Daddy"

They all do, and it doesn't stop.  Even at my age I've been known to go to my mother for a quick loan :whistling: borrowing against my inheritance ya know :hystery:  But seriously, there comes a time when we need to stop giving money to the "kids" and in my case it was when I was 16 and got my first job.  After that I could borrow money from the parents but it DID have to get paid back.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, Dave Hounddriver said:

But seriously, there comes a time when we need to stop giving money to the "kids" and in my case it was when I was 16 and got my first job.  After that I could borrow money from the parents but it DID have to get paid back.

Same here But with the Education systems all over world geared for into Adult Learning age, mine will be 21+ before that happens:whistling:

Geeeeze at 18 I was in Uniform  having already been at work since 15 ( we could leave school at that age if we had been accepted into an apprenticeship or one of the services) The Kids today don't know how lucky they are. "Silver spoons" comes to mind for mine :console:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Happyhorn52 said:

I also would like suggestions about what chores you require them to do to earn the allowance.

:hystery: I remember in another Topic I asked the same question on reflection maybe I was wrong to ask my little princess the same question. Dad she said, Chores are why we have helpers. Maybe we forget where were are, most days they are not children but Idols or do I mean Idles?:huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Well... if she had kids I would not be with her ha ha...

But, if she had kids and we were together, yes I would most likely give a small allowance to the kid. It would be tied to chores, like a job though.