Kids Monthly Allowance

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, davewe said:

In my  case I stopped giving money to the kids when child support says I can lol. 

Hear you dave, my son and daughter got pocket money but they did this for odd and regular jobs and help around the house,,,,,,, sort of worked. When we divorced over 10 years ago part of our maintenance agreement included 20 bucks a week pocket money for my son, 12 at that time,,,,,,,, I found out from him many years later that pocket money was never handed on to him lol and when I questioned his mother she simply said that he doesn't help out so she never gave it to him, I was angry but my son was piss*d big time as that was to go for his personal use and not to be earn't. Child support agencies don't care about pocket money only the "apparently delinquents income" etc. My ex carried on as usual and pocketed the money, pardon the pun. She should have negotiated with our son, her wishes.

I agree with many comments that pocket money is not a gift, it needs to be earn't and teaches fundamental life skills, not only with the do and pay scenario but negotiation skills, sense of worth "pride" and contributions within the family fold to set them on their journey in life.

As for your initial question Happyhorn, that would surely be up to you as parents considering the child's maturity and your economic circumstances but yes do this for your family and for their future. Wish you well as this can be a difficult road but well worth the triumphs and tribulations for an education to potential future leaders.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 10/27/2017 at 11:17 AM, Happyhorn52 said:

Do you give your spouse/girlfriends kids a monthly allowance to teach them how to handle money.  If so, at what age do you start and how much do you give them.

I give my wife a small allowance each month, as  basically, everything is provided with the monthly household budge.  Most of the time, she does not use it and I do not even bother asking her if she did, it is her business.

My wife is a well educated woman with dual University degree.  She is anything but demanding and knows we hav eto keep to a budge.  Very frugal with the household budget.  I am the spender in the team.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

When I grew up I received a small allowance to just cover routine expenses as a child might have at school, etc. This was not payment for chores done around the house. Our family's standard was that no one got paid for doing family chores and everyone was expected to help if they lived at home. If I wanted extra money I had to work. At first this was doing odd jobs for neighbors, shoveling snow, cleaning gutters, mowing grass, paper route, etc.

In the Philippines this model may not work well because it is difficult for children to get paid for work outside of the home.

Gary D
Posted
Posted
On 29/10/2017 at 2:10 PM, earthdome said:

In the Philippines this model may not work well because it is difficult for children to get paid for work outside of the home.

India and Thailand are the places :thumbsup: