Windscreens (when they Shatter) what to do?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:89:I just hope I am NOT tempting fate here!

During my 50+ years of Driving, I have only ever had 2 windscreens Blow on me, Both by being hit by flying Stones. Now unless on the open open road speed is very slow and this may just not happen here BUT in the UK it took just a Phone call to a company called "AUTO GLASS" and within an hour or so fixed and on my way But again, What do we do here. Are there any such companies as this one in the UK? 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Not a permanent solution but you can get 'emergency windscreens' which are heavy duty plastic sheeting with pull tabs to get you out of trouble until you can find a permanent solution.

http://www.ebay.ph/itm/Emergency-Windscreen-For-Cars-4X4-Caravan-Towing-New/251453950333?hash=item3a8bd2c97d:g:UbkAAOSwdvtZredG

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I have only ever had 2 windscreens Blow on me, Both by being hit by flying Stones

I've only have a couple, myself.  Only one bad enough that I could not see out of it and I had to do like I have seen the filipinos do, kick the dang thing out and drive with no glass.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Mr-T
Posted
Posted

Some months ago a little ding( crack) appear on our wind screen, as it was a small circular crack i decided to watch it for awhile. I knew that eventually it would get bigger, sure enough it started to spread. Contacted the insurance company and they wanted a written explanation notarise letter with a photo submit to them. Did all that, waited for about two weeks before they agreed to pay for the replacement. Had a P4000.00 deductible. The replacement cost P16000.00. they ordered the screen and it took another ten days to reach the dealer. According to them it is a whole day job so i will take the vehicle in tomorrow and will sit there for eight hrs. i expect. My vehicle is a Toyota Fortuna.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Hi Jack,

Our Isuzu Alterra's driver's side mirror got cracked/smashed when it hit a misplaced sign in the middle of the main road going to the city. We were able to replace it at the Isuzu dealership in Mandaue City.  It's good to find out that wind screens and all parts/accessories can be replaced on the spot from this place.

We lamented that there was no such quick auto glass place here either. I would think that your car dealership could fix it up pretty quickly if brought in to their place too. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mr-T said:

According to them it is a whole day job

:hystery: Sorry But:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Mr-T said:

According to them it is a whole day job so i will take the vehicle in tomorrow and will sit there for eight hrs

I was told by a glass shop in the USA, that the time is required to allow the silicone adhesive time to cure sufficiently and hold the glass securely in place.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Windscreens (when they Shatter) what to do?

Shatter? do windscreens still shatter? Like in a million pieces. I dont think windscreens at least where I came from ever shatter as they are laminated so they will only crack. 20 or so years ago they would have shattered so the question is, are the windscreens in the Philippines old style? 

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Laminated screens were slow to be adopted because they were a lot more expensive. The Philippines being a poor country it wouldn't suprise me to find the the cheaper technology still in use.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Shatter? do windscreens still shatter? Like in a million pieces.

I think it may be a difference in how people use the word.  Google "shattered windscreen" and there are loads of pics of what I think of when I speak of a shattered windscreen.  Too many to "pic" one and repost it here :morning1: