Malaysia

RBM
Posted
Posted

Just back from Malaysia, traveled with a friend also living in Philippines. 

Mainly went to watch moto GP in Sepang how ever combined this with a short vacation.Not wanting to get in to comparing the two countries how ever we were very impressed there, especially in Penang. Boy do they know how to cook.....also extremely affordable. 

Although not first world it must be door knocking, from the airport to streets, amazing. From the condo we stayed in was interesting to watch another complex being built, seems rather than build a floor at a time like here they pour or fit the supporting posts which are very wide in one operation. Appeared very neat and strong.

My over all  impression was a very livable country, of course adjustments need to made, especially if one likes night life and or dating. The visa system is very geared to expats as well. Cheapest grab taxies ever experienced amazing.

Over all excellent impressions and feel would be a nice place to spend more time. 

Be nice to hear comments from me berserk who have spent time there.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure how security issues as far as ex pats goes, but when I was there early on in the year we were stopped by a marine patrol looking for pirates, and on landing there were lots of military guys with weapons going around checking visas etc. I know it has a large religion of peace population and a lot of fighters in Marawi allegedly came from Malaysia. 

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, RBM said:

Be nice to hear comments from me berserk who have spent time there.

I have a Malay friend who is a journalist who works there, I haven't lived there but I have visited.

If I had to summarize my impressions in a few words it would be that it's got better facilities and infrastructure (in the parts I've been) than the Philippines (in the parts I've been) but that the people (and the society) are not as welcoming.

Kuala Lumpur traffic is grid lock in peak hour (think Manila bad) but interestingly if you're in an upmarket car (we were in a Mercedes Benz with my friend) then often the traffic Police will make space for you by stopping the taxis and smaller cars (unless it's a government car or sheiks car coming in which case you wait). 

The rail transit system uses these blue disks that you load err... load onto and then drop in a gate, it works fairly well.

The taxis come in a couple of types, one type that the locals use and a more upmarket version that isn't a lot more expensive but is better size for larger westerners.

Ummm that's about all I can think of at the moment. 

NB It is an Islamic country and whilst in most places it's not extremist that needs to be taken into account when you're speaking and acting.  Having said that there are many moderates, I've sat in US style chain restaurants eating cheesy bacon fries and drinking beer with my friend.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I'm not sure how security issues as far as ex pats goes, but when I was there early on in the year we were stopped by a marine patrol looking for pirates, and on landing there were lots of military guys with weapons going around checking visas etc. I know it has a large religion of peace population and a lot of fighters in Marawi allegedly came from Malaysia. 

We spent most time in Penang and cannot remember ever seeing  police, just occasional car go by. Previous times stayed KL but never experienced any checks.

Both of us commented on the friendliness of the locals, our experience, it was far more friendly than Cebu, we stayed away from tourist areas so maybe why.

Was also kinda nice to find cars stopping when we crossed at a pedestrian crossing.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
Brian Willy
Posted
Posted

I have both visited and worked in many parts of Malaysia since the late 80's. Penang was the first place i went to and it's a nice cruisy island with great food and friendly people. 

The thing about Malaysia is that it's a boring country and there is the muslim factor too they don't seem too welcoming to us foreigners. The Chinese are more welcoming.

I was just in Langkawi and there is a large expat community living on yachts, but i found it to be the most dull and boring place that I have ever been. The best thing about Langkawi was getting the ferry to the neighboring Thai island Koh Lipe. Such a refreshing place with a  high energy good vibe after Malaysia. Langkawi is really set up for Arab Islamic tourists.

Besides Penang the city of Kota Kinabalu (Borneo)  is not bad and has nice nature and beach resorts, but once again very dull. Labuan nearby is good fun if you're single but pretty seedy and gets boring quickly.

As you say the visa's are good and it;s the only country that we can actually own land, but the boredom will kill you. 

• Like 1