Race and Class in the Philippines

Eldon Cordrey
Posted
Posted

The purpose of this topic is to share some knowledge of the Philippines and its history.  This should give  some of you an understanding of why things are a certain way here in the Philippines.  Although the Philippines is a Republic by Law it does not really function that way.  This has to do with the history of this country.  The Philippines is not a western Liberal democratic Republic.  Before The Spanish came to these Islands the majority of the people were Malay Muslims.  Still to this day there are Muslim Nobility and Royalty in the Philippines.  The Philippines still retains its class distinctions even today under it's Republican form of Government.  Race, wealth, and Land Ownership determine ones class in this country.  Here is an article in wikipedia about the old class system during the Spanish times. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principalía

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Eldon Cordrey said:

Although the Philippines is a Republic by Law

Would you say that President Marcos Duterte is trying to bring about a western style democratic Republic?  That is what I thought when he was elected but now I am not sure.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Would you say that President Marcos is trying to bring about a western style democratic Republic?  That is what I thought when he was elected but now I am not sure.

I think you mean DU30.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted

Thanks for sharing the link Eldon.

Cheers, Steve.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Eldon Cordrey said:

Although the Philippines is a Republic by Law it does not really function that way.  This has to do with the history of this country.

Although a good start, I hope this does not get to a POLITICAL issue, Please remember we DO live here and are not Unaccustomed to to the running of things,

Sorry But:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

I think you mean DU30.

Yes, thanks.  That was a brain fart moment.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Thanks Eldon for the link.

It might take me a day or two to get through it all.

Having made a brief  comparison with a program I watched last night nothing really changes over the centuries. 

Culture, Power, Wealth and  Nobility  seems to be the joining thread.

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I think you mean DU30.

President Punch? 

• Haha 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

All I think I can add with any seriousness is that  I am an absolute freak when it comes to encouraging my Muslim nieces to expand their minds and to encourage them as much as possible in their endeavors. What's the saying? We can't do everything but we can do something?

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yes, thanks.  That was a brain fart moment.

Dang, was that you Dave?  I could smell it all the way to California.....he, he. 

I think no matter who's at the Palace, jungle rule or tribal mentality applies in most cases.  Law enforcement and the judicial process is like a slow carabao, often times dropping a fresh heap of chit on the poor and the unconnected.  The game of "name dropping" and don't you know who I am, is the name of the game unfortunately.  Too bad, the average expat can't use these advantages.  But of course, that goes against our western cultural, right?

Thank you Eldon for your insights!  Respectfully Jake

• Like 1