Race and Class in the Philippines

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Spain was muslim for about 900 years

Being as how this topic is about race and class in the Philippines, I find that an interesting bit of trivia.  However:

After centuries of the Reconquista, in which Christian Spaniards fought to drive out the Moors, the Spanish Inquisition was established in 1478 by Catholic Monarchs Ferdinand II of Aragon and Isabella I of Castile, to complete the religious purification of the Iberian Peninsula.

The history of the Philippines from 1521 to 1898, also known as the Spanish Colonial Period, began with the arrival in 1521 of European explorer Ferdinand Magellan sailing for Spain, which heralded the period when the Philippines was a colony of the Spanish Empire,

So I think its safe to say Spain has not been Muslim since long before they discovered the Philippines.  Wouldn't you?

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Being as how this topic is about race and class in the Philippines, I find that an interesting bit of trivia.  However:

So I think its safe to say Spain has not been Muslim since long before they discovered the Philippines.  Wouldn't you?

I was just following up on Eldon's post where he stated that girls not going out by themselves was a Muslim custom to which Not so old china hand suggested that it was a Spanish custom. I was merely pointing that Spain had been Muslim for 900 years so the custom could predate the Christian era and be Muslim in origin.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Gary D said:

I was merely pointing that Spain had been Muslim for 900 years so the custom could predate the Christian era and be Muslim in origin.

Well for me, I think in all Honesty we can Forget about Religion, Women have always gone in two's :whistling:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Well for me, I think in all Honesty we can Forget about Religion, Women have always gone in two's :whistling:

Your taking back to my youth, Silvia and Pauline always did things together, even boyfriends:shades:

• Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Your taking back to my youth, Silvia and Pauline always did things together, even boyfriends:shades:

:hystery: Thar you go Folks :whistling: Naff all to do with this Religion Stuff:smile:

• Like 1