Predominantly in Automatic vehicles?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

since this is not the 1950s I see no reason to get a standard ha ha

I agree.  In the '50s it was called a "standard" transmission because the automatic was an upgrade.  Some still call it a standard but its no longer accurate.   Now we call it a "manual transmission" and it is not standard, it is an option.

Many people can drive and shift much smoother with a manual transmission and it is so much nicer in heavy traffic, (for me at least) when I want to slowly inch forward.  The automatic starts moving at a faster speed than I like.  I also like it for fast stops.  The combination of clutch/brake will get me stopped faster than brake alone with an automatic.  It takes a moment of time for that automatic to disengage unless you throw 'er in neutral and in that moment the car is still pushing you forward against the brake.

Anyway, just sayin' my reasons for liking a manual transmission.  Automatics have their good points too.  

EDIT:  All that said, give me the option between an automatic and a huge engine/transmission combination with no synchronization so you have to double clutch and I would take the automatic.  I still remember my left leg shaking after a 12 hour shift of that.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

13 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

under Normal circumstances?

Correct.  Under normal circumstances it is not a wise practice.  (I just put all the extra explanation so ya don't give me a hard time when you ride with me one day and see me brake with my left foot :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: )

I have always wondered why, if this is not a wise practice, the brake pedal on automatics is so wide. As Sonjack says if one is used to driving cars with manual transmission it needs a conscious effort to keep the left foot off the brake and avoid stamping down to declutch. :56da64aa52228_23_9_101:

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I think I've mentioned before, we have two Filipino young adults living with us, doing their schooling. The girl aged nineteen, asked if I would teach her to drive, "Sure but it's an automatic," That was alright with her but like a few of you she started using her left foot for the brake, thats a no-no in my book. Well to overcome the problem, I told her if she forgot and used her left foot for the brake again, I'd put my hand on her knee so she would remember not to use that foot. Bugger never got the chance to see if she's got a nobble knee.

• Haha 4

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have both a manual and an auto but being brought up on manuals alway tuck my left foot under. The first time I decluched with the brake I nearly put my head through the windscreen. Here in the uk if you take your test in an auto you are not licensed to drive a manual.

Edited by Gary D
spelling
  • Like 1

Eldon Cordrey
Posted
Posted

I find driving in my province dangerous.  After a couple of accidents my wife made me sell our tricycle.  Driving your own vehicle is a luxury here. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Eldon Cordrey said:

Driving your own vehicle is a luxury here. 

For some maybe:huh:

Eldon Cordrey
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

For some maybe:huh:

Yeah.  I remember some parts of Negros are really out there and don' t have much public transportation. Public transportation is good here in my province and traffic is only a little bit bad in the Capital Kalibo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1