Filipino time

stevewool
Posted
Posted (edited)

With Emma's holiday back in the Philippines coming to a end she is on the last few visits of seeing old friends .

Today like all the other days we have managed to talk on facetime and see how both of us are doing.

Well today she has been to Tagaytay and had lunch there with her friends and the pictures did look great, anyway has they are 8 hours ahead I was asking what is happening the next day.

Well as we are in Dasmarinas now ,we shall be leaving tomorrow to go to Marikina at around 10amand if the traffic is ok should be there for 1pm, then I am going shopping with dad for his new mattress, then after that there are people and family coming over for a fair well party for me .

That's nice Ems I said but are you not leaving it a little late as your flight leaves  on the 5th, no that's ok it's not till midnight she said.

No Emma I said it leaves at 12_05am on the 5th, well you could see her face trying to work it all out, then the penny dropped.

Her answer was ,well if you was here with me I would not have to think about these things, I did give her the choice ,either come back or stay .

Edited by stevewool
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

This is not just a local thing 2 people in the UK missed their flight because they confused 0905 with 2105.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, stevewool said:

No Emma I said it leaves at 12_05am on the 5th,

That always confuses me too.  I do not believe there is such a time as the clock ends at 12.  In my day we called that 00:05 so as not to confuse anyone. :508:

• Like 2

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That always confuses me too.  I do not believe there is such a time as the clock ends at 12.  In my day we called that 00:05 so as not to confuse anyone.

I find the American usage of 12 am for noon and 12 pm for midnight (or is it vice-versa?) confusing. I can't apply logic to it since midnight is certainly after noon but how can noon be either before or after itself?:89:

• Haha 1
  • I'm Confused 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That always confuses me too.  I do not believe there is such a time as the clock ends at 12.  In my day we called that 00:05 so as not to confuse anyone. :508:

My early days as a young sailor adjusting to different time zones as we cross the Pacific Ocean, was very confusing for me.  I always had to triple check our current time because it normally advance one hour each day or every other day, as we approach western Pacific.  I didn't want to be late for my watch rotation.  Then you throw in more confusion when we cross the international date line.  Yeah, we skip a day -- usually Sunday, our normal sleep in days until 0700 vice zero dark thirty, our normal work day.  

And then you have to describe the time itself.  I always had to remember to add 12 to convert to military time.  So for example 1PM.....it should be stated as 13 hundred; two thirty AM is zero230; one minute pass midnight is 0001. Anyway, I pissed off my chief one day when he ask what is local time at our current position.  I sheepishly stated, it's 13 o'clock chief.  He just about had a cow.  It's like saying it's 16 o'clock or 23 o'clock.  I think I was polishing brass all day after that.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jake said:

I didn't want to be late for my watch rotation. 

Surely you just turn out at eight bells. Show a leg there sailor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, not so old china hand said:

Surely you just turn out at eight bells. Show a leg there sailor.

That was even more confusing.  The boatswains mate would ring out the bells throughout the ship until taps but I still scratched my ass, thinking what the hell was that?  

Anyway, my easy way to tell time in PI from California is to add 12 hours plus 3 (total of 15 hours ahead for PI time).  But this weekend, we retard the clocks so PI time should be 12 hours plus 4.  Clear as carabao droppings, right?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Well my friends , she is safe and sound at the airport and has a few hours to shop at duty free and eat her last Jollibee maybe , thats unless they have one in Dubai .

I must admit this two weeks has flown by so quickly but it will be good to have her back home.

The bed has been changed the house is shinning but i afraid the ironing has not been done yet, if i am feeling good i may have a go at it tomorrow before i leave to collect her from the airport.

Now do i met her at the arrivals with a bunch of flowers or a box of KFC, yes i know i am a sloppy bugger, but hey i am still in love .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Now do i met her at the arrivals with a bunch of flowers or a box of KFC

Just make sure you show up with your clothes needing to be laundered so she will know she has been missed.  :hystery:  If you show up in a freshly starched suit she'll wonder what you've been up to.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If you show up in a freshly starched suit she'll wonder what you've been up to.

Who starches there suits these days :89: