US peace corps or were they?

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I must admit in a country that does so many checks when you purchase an electrical item in a store before you can remove it, I'm still surprised they let you run a bar bill up. 

I was in Panglao a few weeks back, in a group of about 10 and we had to remind the waitress we hadn't received a bill. I even asked for the owner an Aussie guy and pointed out we hadn't been billed. When they did they asked for just over 300 peso. I pointed out I'd had fish and chips and bought a round of ten drinks. I ended up giving him 1200 peso and told them to sort it out between themselves. 

• Haha 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

I'm still surprised they let you run a bar bill up. 

In bars where I am not known I usually pay for each drink as it comes. In most places "mistakes" are not in your favor.

I've been in a similar position to JGF a number of times in China. Bar staff just don't understand "Put this one on my tab' and the person only gets charged for what they consumed. If it happens to me, well the intention was there so I just shrug and pay. However I do know people who are Cheap Charlies and they normally complain "Oi I didn't get my free drink".

That doesn't mean that I would happily pay for the other persons drinks in this situation (unless they are a good friend).

Edited by not so old china hand
  • Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Last night I was with a British friend and two others out having a drink. Now my friend is a cheapskate so anything free he has his hand up fast.

Does he drive an ice cream truck in Sheffield, by chance? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

I'm still surprised they let you run a bar bill up. 

When they start losing money to foreign scammers I predict that payment on order will become the norm.  And that's not so bad.  I don't trust most of the servers and cashiers with math problems like giving me a proper total on my bill so pay-as-you-go sounds much smarter to me.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I must admit in a country that does so many checks when you purchase an electrical item in a store before you can remove it, I'm still surprised they let you run a bar bill up.

This is a large restaurant and the billing is computerised. Never had a wrong bill there yet and they know when others are on my table then it's a split bill. 

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, MikeB said:

Unfortunately I dont understand the joke? 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, not so old china hand said:

That doesn't mean that I would happily pay for the other persons drinks in this situation (unless they are a good friend).

These people, so called peace corps workers had no intention of paying. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jollygoodfellow said:

Never had a wrong bill there yet and they know when others are on my table then it's a split bill. 

:89: Yes normally I would agree but there is always this thing of joiners which we do not accept  at our meets. It is happening more and more and makes us suspicious of some Foreigners  Shame but:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, MikeB said:

19 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Unfortunately I dont understand the joke? 

There was a member of many different names, one of which was Mr Whippy as he sold soft serve ice cream off a truck in England.  Surely you remember him.  Extremely cheap and opinionated but other than that a great guy.  Not sure if Crad is still with us under another name but if he is he must be behaving himself :morning1:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1