Store loyalty cards.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have been looking for A canopy/tent as the concrete in the front garden gets very hot and makes the house hot.I looked in several places last week and found what I wanted here in Dumaguete at Lee plaza. They had some 3m by 3m,10 Ft by 10 Ft for 3499 peso which was the best quality and the cheapest price I had seen.A steel frame and a quite sturdy canvas for the roof. I decided as we were quite busy last week to go on Sunday and get that along with some other things.

We got to Lee plaza yesterday and there was a sign which said special offer today only 2999 peso ( also the sales assistant confirmed this) for the tent.So we get some other things whilst they are checking it out.We see it erected and it was fine so we say yes we will buy it and they took it down and tied it with some string so we could get it home.When we get to the till and were told the amount to pay I looked at the till girl and said are you sure( I did not know she had asked my wife if we had a loyalty card),Yes she replies as you don`t have a loyalty card you cannot avail the discount. There were embarrassed looks from the assistants as I think they  thought I might kick up a fuss.I just laughed and said yes we will still buy as I knew it was already 500 peso cheaper than anywhere else.

I have never been a fan of loyalty cards but now I am wondering maybe they might be a good idea after all it could have saved me 500 peso or the equivalent of 2 sessions in the pub.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I have never been a fan of loyalty cards but now I am wondering maybe they might be a good idea after all

In your case it was a good idea.  It means those cards surely have their place. You will find it cooler.  I used a tarp in my front area for a couple of years before deciding to build a concrete cover.  My tarps wore out within a year due to wind but they surely keep things cooler.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

In your case it was a good idea.  It means those cards surely have their place. You will find it cooler.  I used a tarp in my front area for a couple of years before deciding to build a concrete cover.  My tarps wore out within a year due to wind but they surely keep things cooler.

I used to put umbrellas out there and that kept it quite a bit cooler.I now have a loyalty card I bet they wont have anything else I want on offer now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

If they are free, then why not? Other than the mildly annoying junk emails you get, there isn't a downside as far as I can see. If prices are inflated to enable stores to offer discount to cardholders then you will pay the inflated price wether you are a cardholder or not - if you can't beat them, join them.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, hk blues said:

If they are free, then why not? Other than the mildly annoying junk emails you get, there isn't a downside as far as I can see. If prices are inflated to enable stores to offer discount to cardholders then you will pay the inflated price wether you are a cardholder or not - if you can't beat them, join them.

Costs 100 peso nothing is for free.Maybe I`ll get a bargain in the future who knows.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

The SM card I think is the first year 100 pesos, but every year after it's free to renew your card. 

That's good info.  At Robinsons they always wanted payment for the renewal and they often managed to "lose" the accumulated points on the expiring card.  Enough that I gave up on them.  Save More in City Mall is an SM store so if its free to renew that's good, although I cannot see the point of a free renewal?  Why not let us keep the old card?   Ahhh the lights are coming on.  If you don't take the free renewal then you lose the accumulated points and they can write it off their books.

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That's good info.  At Robinsons they always wanted payment for the renewal and they often managed to "lose" the accumulated points on the expiring card.  Enough that I gave up on them.  Save More in City Mall is an SM store so if its free to renew that's good, although I cannot see the point of a free renewal?  Why not let us keep the old card?   Ahhh the lights are coming on.  If you don't take the free renewal then you lose the accumulated points and they can write it off their books.

That's right Dave--those points will be lost if you don't renew, and the cashier will tell you when your card is up for renewal. It makes sense to have a free renewal; because it makes for loyal customers. Anyway it only took a minute at customer service to renew.:smile:

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

You ;have more of a sense of humour than me Kev, unless it  states 'loyalty cards customers only', they had not right not to allow the extra discount.

But I have already seen activities similar when we have been buying materials and goods for the house.  I am afraid I will not back off in such circumstances.

But you have your tent and happy, that is the main thing.