Painting Magic? Or Painter BS

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I am in the process of getting the ceiling of my carport covered in Hardiplex and painted white.  Imagine my surprise when I noticed, on Saturday afternoon, that the painter had started painting the ceiling chocolate brown, almost black it was so dark.

So I call up the contractor who says he will talk to the painter and find out what's up and get back to me on Monday.  Here is what he said this morning:

The crack filler used on the ceiling is a red brown colour.  He said if they paint white over top of that then the red will bleed through.  So they paint a darker colour to cover the red and then it will not bleed through when they put on the white paint.

So he has covered the dark brown with white this morning and I am not seeing any "bleed through" so maybe it works?  Or was it just a BS story to cover up his mistake?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The crack filler used on the ceiling is a red brown colour.

Scratching Head.jpg ODD this was his mistake to begin with, My filler on Hardiflex was white, then a Flat white and then White semi gloss Nada Problema

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I think it's correct. Just like what we call a primer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

It's quite common to use yellow paint also as an undercoat as other colours tend not to bleed through it.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Red can bleed through lighter colours.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Just spoke to my painter who tells me the painter of yours Dave has used "exterior" Filler which he tells me is  is Harder to rub down, so have a good look at Joints and screw? holes :huh:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Just spoke to my painter who tells me the painter of yours Dave has used "exterior" Filler

Well since he is working outside then I guess he did what he was supposed to do.  More water resistant I guess?  Anyway, its looking better every day so no complaints really, I just wondered if he screwed up and gave me BS or if it is true when he says:

• Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Well since he is working outside then I guess he did what he was supposed to do. 

Hmmmmmm maybe but it is Underneath Yes? (The Roof I mean) but if it is Ok with you then mate it will Ok with me:smile:

• Thanks 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted

As long as it didn't cost any more Dave and you ended up with the desired result, more ways than one of skinning a cat.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Willie
Posted
Posted

Sounds like a coverup.

My wife's aunt has to repaint every 2 years because of moisture making the paint peel. I instructed our painter to use a white sealer first,(Philippines version of Kilz). It is a stain blocker, moisture blocker, and color bleed blocker. The white base allows the color coat to be true to is intended color.

• Like 4