Painting Magic? Or Painter BS

jimeve
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am in the process of getting the ceiling of my carport covered in Hardiplex and painted white.  Imagine my surprise when I noticed, on Saturday afternoon, that the painter had started painting the ceiling chocolate brown, almost black it was so dark.

So I call up the contractor who says he will talk to the painter and find out what's up and get back to me on Monday.  Here is what he said this morning:

The crack filler used on the ceiling is a red brown colour.  He said if they paint white over top of that then the red will bleed through.  So they paint a darker colour to cover the red and then it will not bleed through when they put on the white paint.

So he has covered the dark brown with white this morning and I am not seeing any "bleed through" so maybe it works?  Or was it just a BS story to cover up his mistake?

He could have used epoxy primer white, sounds like he doesn't know what he's doing. if that was a full house that would have cost a huge amount of money wasted.

I'm a retired painter and decorator BTW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 11/6/2017 at 11:12 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am in the process of getting the ceiling of my carport covered in Hardiplex and painted white.  Imagine my surprise when I noticed, on Saturday afternoon, that the painter had started painting the ceiling chocolate brown, almost black it was so dark.

So I call up the contractor who says he will talk to the painter and find out what's up and get back to me on Monday.  Here is what he said this morning:

The crack filler used on the ceiling is a red brown colour.  He said if they paint white over top of that then the red will bleed through.  So they paint a darker colour to cover the red and then it will not bleed through when they put on the white paint.

So he has covered the dark brown with white this morning and I am not seeing any "bleed through" so maybe it works?  Or was it just a BS story to cover up his mistake?

The painters used that color on our house ceilings and there has been no bleed through on the final white ceilings. Only surfaces with seams were treated though.

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1