A reminder to know the law or risks

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Maybe he did not know the law or maybe he was told she was older. For one is a 17 year old meant to be registered on a dating site? I dont believe so. 

Suspected pedophile arrested in Cebu beach resort

A 66-YEAR-OLD Danish national was arrested on Wednesday night, November 1, for allegedly bringing a minor to a beach resort in Barangay Estaca, Compostela, Cebu. Josef Bertelsen was caught by the team led by Senior Inspector Junafe Vergara, the town police chief. The team rescued the 17-year-old girl, a native of Sibonga, Cebu.

She was brought to the social welfare office for counseling. Investigation showed the girl met the foreigner through an online dating website early this year. On Wednesday afternoon, the girl and her adult sister met with the foreigner in a mall in Cebu City. He later allegedly invited them to take a swim in a beach resort which they obliged. After they arrived in the resort, Bertelsen allegedly brought them into a private room.

The resort staff, sensing the foreigner was bringing a minor, reported him to the police station and his arrest followed.

A foreigner who is caught in the company of a minor who is not his relative violates Republic Act (RA) 7610, or the Special Protection of Children against Abuse, Exploitation, and Discrimination Act. Section 10 (b) of RA 7610 prohibits any person to be in the company of “a minor, 12 years or under or who is 10 years or more his junior in any public or private place, hotel, motel, beer joint, discotheque, cabaret, pension house, sauna or massage parlor, beach and/or other tourist resort or similar places.” Vergara said they will file human trafficking charges against the foreigner.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2017/11/02/suspected-pedophile-arrested-cebu-beach-resort-572632

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

He later allegedly invited them to take a swim in a beach resort which they obliged. After they arrived in the resort, Bertelsen allegedly brought them into a private room.

This seems to be a pattern in recent years and I wonder about it.  Many years ago, resort staff looked at it like it was not their business who your guests were in your hotel room.  In today's Philippines there are a lot of resorts that report foreigners when bringing anyone who looks underage to your room.

So are they getting a reward?  Are the police holding the resorts responsible if someone is caught with an underage person who was not reported?  Are the resort owners developing a sudden sense of moral consciousness (or crab mentality even)?  What is the impetus causing resorts, hotels and other establishments to drop a dime on old guys with young girls these last few years?  Notice I am not discussing if it is right or wrong, just asking if it is anyone else's business PROVIDED the girl is not being coerced to do something against her will.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Maybe he did not know the law or maybe he was told she was older. For one is a 17 year old meant to be registered on a dating site? I dont believe so. 

Kind of sad that a 66 year year old guy was probably semi-innocently caught up in this.  I don't condone what he did;  he has to be responsible.  However, it is entirely possible that a 66 year old guy could be a bit fuzzy minded and not realize what was going on.

1.  The girl lied about her age to get on a dating website.  You have to be 18.

2.  The sister knowingly brought her underage sister to meet him.  She should be prosecuted for human trafficking.

3.  The hotel sure looks like they are getting something out of it. 

• Like 5

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Since the law only applies to foreigners l wonder how they protect the children from their own people. Can a non realitive of a Filipno who is a minor visit a hotel room ? 

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I wonder if the old boy will be paying the police/hotel/girl/girl's sister for this to go away.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Since the law only applies to foreigners

JGF I am not sure it does actually :89: Certainly Aimed at us But........:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

There's been a huge push against human trafficking in SE Asia. In our hotel room in Tagbilaran a few months ago, there were standup ads about the push and warnings against getting involved in it. I was surprised to see it, given the normal effort to quash bad news that the tourists might hear. 

I do wish there was real reporting on this, though, without the words "rescued" and "counseling". Anyone can guess that she and her sister both knew what was happening. I know a Filipina who was involved on a dating site at 16 with a 66-year old American. The relationship only ended when the mother tried to steal the man away... 

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

There's been a huge push against human trafficking

Sorry but I do not see where having Girls in a Hotel or Resort Room as "Human Trafficking" trying to get them out of the Country yes But..........:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Sorry but I do not see where having Girls in a Hotel or Resort Room as "Human Trafficking" trying to get them out of the Country yes But..........:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Yep. The definition has been broadened. 

I also don't understand why anyone was arrested, considering she had a guardian with her. Her adult sister was there. 

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

A foreigner who is caught in the company of a minor who is not his relative violates Republic Act (RA) 7610, or the Special Protection of Children against Abuse, Exploitation, and Discrimination Act. Section 10 (b) of RA 7610 prohibits any person to be in the company of “a minor, 12 years or under or who is 10 years or more his junior in any public or private place, hotel, motel, beer joint, discotheque, cabaret, pension house, sauna or massage parlor, beach and/or other tourist resort or similar places.” Vergara said they will file human trafficking charges against the foreigner.

Typically poor writing; it's unclear who's making this quote but it's dead wrong. The law does not apply exclusively to foreigners, but if it's intent is to say the law is selectively enforced against foreigners that would be correct.

• Like 2