A reminder to know the law or risks

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

There is some grey area and in the past the cops had leeway to give someone the benefit of the doubt

I agree with you that some Filipinas are capable of making rational and informed decisions prior to turning 18.  But what about those that are not?  How can society protect the innocent if individuals or police are allowed to decide which laws are valid, which are not, and which should have grey areas.  As expats it is our responsibility to know and abide by the laws of the country where we choose to live.  If he made a mistake, e.g. "the girl lied and said she was over 18 on the web site and also her older sister was present", then he can use that as a defense.  He can claim and try to prove that he was set up for extortion.  It may work, it may not.  But saying someone was mature for her age, or "almost 18"  is not, in my opinion, a valid defense or a reason for law enforcement to allow an exception.  If 17 is okay, how about 16, then 15, or saying that the parents approved, etc.  That is the problem I see with allowing law enforcement to decide if a law has a grey area.  When that happens you can bet that the grey area will continue to grow and grow, not to mention it really throws the door wide open for corruption in the police force.  I cannot help but feel that cops having leeway in the past is one of the major reasons that the Philippines still has a reputation as being a great place to visit for sexpats seeking to hookup with teenagers.

• Thanks 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 11/6/2017 at 5:59 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Since the law only applies to foreigners l wonder how they protect the children from their own people. Can a non realitive of a Filipno who is a minor visit a hotel room ? 

A very good question, I suspect the answer is 'yes' to Filipinos as opposed to a 'no' for foreigners.

Just a side issue to this, last week an American met a young Filipino girl at a resort  where I have a drink a few days a week.  The family accompanied her, she too was 17 years of age and it was an 'arranged' situation.  The American left the family in the room and on his return, the room was empty, so was his wallet with 300k pesos the apparent price for the 'bride'.  Could not happen to a nicer a...hole.

Police are investigating, if I was him, I would quickly pack and leave the country.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Just a side issue to this, last week an American met a young Filipino girl at a resort  where I have a drink a few days a week.  The family accompanied her, she too was 17 years of age and it was an 'arranged' situation.  The American left the family in the room and on his return, the room was empty, so was his wallet with 300k pesos the apparent price for the 'bride'.  Could not happen to a nicer a...hole.

It happens sometimes but Ron, can I ask is this to your ears from the Guy or hearsay It is all very easy to say things when talking over a beer and goes with what JGF was saying about the Law, If this is true, he will not be going anywhere if a Warrant is issued for trying to Buy a Bride. Just as a Thought How old is the US man? I mean no one in this day and Age needs to actually Buy a lady ( Unless by the night) Do you think it is for Real or just a Story?

In Fact, I was going to ask Just what age did we (Any older men here) think was the Right/ Good age (Within the Law) to be looking for a prospective wife/Long term G/F

Edited by Jack Peterson
spelling

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

so was his wallet with 300k pesos

I am sorry but who walks away from a wallet?  And then again who carried p300K with them?  Hell, I built a house for that much! 

...as for that magic mirror it would say I am the most gwapo... after all my name is Joe Gwapo ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

In Fact, I was going to ask Just what age did we (Any older men here) think was the Right/ Good age (Within the Law) to be looking for a prospective wife/Long term G/F

I had always believed 18 was the minimum but a funny thing I recall the first time comming here while chatting with a Filipina, she said a girl could marry here at 15.  I said I dont think so but nope she was sure so I never bothered with the conversation after that. :89:

Re reading your post, I think as long as the girl is of legal age and is happy to be with whoever then good for them. I have heard some say that a younger Filipina has nothing in common or would have nothing to talk about but I think it depends on the individual. 

MikeB
Posted
Posted
On 11/6/2017 at 7:52 PM, Mike J said:

Is it just me that is confused or have a whole lot of us inadvertently  violated the law????  Below is a clip from R.A. 7610.  

<clip>

(b)    Any person who shall keep or have in his company a minor, twelve (12) years or under or who in ten (10) years or more his junior in any public or private place, hotel, motel, beer joint, discotheque, cabaret, pension house, sauna or massage parlor, beach and/or other tourist resort or similar places shall suffer the penalty of prision mayor in its maximum period and a fine of not less than Fifty thousand pesos (P50,000): Provided, That this provision shall not apply to any person who is related within the fourth degree of consanguinity or affinity or any bond recognized by law, local custom and tradition or acts in the performance of a social, moral or legal duty

<end clip>

When I came to the Philippines some 13 or so years ago I was single and 55 years old.  My future Filipina wife was 39 years old, a difference of 16 years but far beyond being a child or minor.  We spent a week together in Boracay.  Could I have been arrested, fined, imprisoned, black listed?  Holy &^%#  

Am I reading or interpreting the law wrong, or is this a part of the law that defies common sense and is being ignored (for now) by law enforcement?  I cannot imagine what the purpose was for this "10 years junior" part of the statute.  Is there an alternate explanation that makes sense, or did someone(s) have a bad case of cranial rectitus when the law was written? :89:

"Could I have been arrested, fined, imprisoned, black listed? "

You can always be arrested, etc..... but, according to the law, it wouldn't stand up. That last sentence, beginning with "or", is your get out of jail card. It seems to mean that if the relationship is "innocent" the law will not apply. If, for example, you are with spouse 10 years younger or taking a friend's minor child to church or wherever it doesn't apply. That's the way I read it. Leaving the determination completely up to the police and court. Good thing all the authorities are well paid professionals interested only in doing the right thing.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, MikeB said:

Good thing all the authorities are well paid professionals interested only in doing the right thing.

:hystery:

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 11/6/2017 at 5:44 AM, Jack Peterson said:

Sorry but I do not see where having Girls in a Hotel or Resort Room as "Human Trafficking" trying to get them out of the Country yes But..........:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

They are doing huge human trafficking stings in the US now. Rarely do they actually find a real victim of human trafficking or even someone underage. Mostly just arresting john's and their adult prostitutes. They have just turned your normal run of the day prostitution conducted between two adults into a national crime. It gets law enforcement at all levels headlines and makes it look like they are doing something so they can get more money in their budget from law makers.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

On 11/8/2017 at 7:08 PM, Jack Peterson said:
On 11/8/2017 at 6:56 PM, MikeB said:

Good thing all the authorities are well paid professionals interested only in doing the right thing.

:hystery:

Jack - you just said a mouthful without using a single word. :hystery::hystery::hystery:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, earthdome said:

It gets law enforcement at all levels headlines

Brings a new meaning to "gun control"?

• Haha 1