Motor Vehicle Headlights

intrepid
Posted
Posted

I was having some fun talking to a LTO officer this evening and we had a few laughs about the enforcement of the traffic laws here.  I was about ready to move on when he told me about the "headlight law".   He said all tricycles are supposed to have two headlights, one each side just as any four wheeled vehicle.  That's when I really started to laugh.  Two? I said.  Many don't even have one working one or for some reason don't turn it on. :hystery:     I asked him if he could provide a location where I could look up the "headlight law" and he quoted R.A. 4136 Article 4 Section 34 (c).  So when I get home I look it up.  Sure enough there is another one of those laws that was probably only enforced for a few days if at all and still remains on the books.

(c) Headlights. - Every motor vehicle of more than one meter of projected width, while in use on any public highway shall bear two headlights, one on each side, with white or yellowish light visible from the front, which, not later than one-half hour after sunset and until at least one-half four before sunrise and whenever weather conditions so require, shall both be lighted.

see the full Act here;  http://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra1964/ra_4136_1964.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, intrepid said:

Every motor vehicle of more than one meter of projected width, while in use on any public highway shall bear two headlights, one on each side, with white or yellowish light visible from the front,

:89:If any at all and turned on they come in all colours here in Dumaguete, if you see a traveling Xmas tree, 9/10 times it is a Tricycle or an Easy Ride (Small jeepney)  :whistling:

Jack:shades:

Morning All:photo-109:

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)

They don;t turn on the lights so they can save the battery????  Why didn't I think of that. 

Edited by mogo51
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, mogo51 said:

They don;t turn on the lights so they can save the battery????  Why didn't I think of that. 

:hystery:

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Tell them that not starting the bike will save the most battery power...

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, mogo51 said:

A lot of them don`t have batteries haha

• Haha 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

As with many traffic laws and ordinances, there is no or only arbitrary enforcement on the roadways for the most part, and a reluctance on many drivers' parts to obey the many simple and doable laws, even if it means safety for themselves' and their fellow citizens. Your experiences might be different, but this is a real frustration for me.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

and a reluctance on many drivers' parts to obey the many simple and doable laws, even if it means safety for themselves' and their fellow citizens. Your experiences might be different, but this is a real frustration for me.

I'm not surprised that more motorbike riders are not killed. I see them cut in front of large trucks when the truck is turning and all sorts of dangerous acts. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I'm not surprised that more motorbike riders are not killed. I see them cut in front of large trucks when the truck is turning and all sorts of dangerous acts. 

As a means of population control is does seem suprisingly inefficient

• Haha 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Agree and agree again, we have all been there but back to a or 2 simple headlights or a working tail light/s, most times yes for those that use all of the above, and for those at night that don't? I/we have nearly cleaned up many bikes, tricycles as well as the odd car/truck travelling at 20 clicks in an 80 K zone without lights. Hey at night when you are doing the speed limit and or driving to the conditions, instantly a fatality comes into your vision with little time to react and while on the ball I always say "another close one" and focus to the conditions and do drive on or below the speed limit as experience has dictated and always alert at night. So far so good, while a harrowing experience we go with the flow cautiously.

Cheers, Steve.