Remember Super Typhoon Yolanda 4 years today

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

It's four years today that Yolanda hit the Philippines as a super typhoon which was known as the strongest to ever make landfall. 

My girlfriend is a Yolanda survivor, she was in Tacloban when the typhoon hit. Herself and family were lucky that not one of their family members died. The new house was not so lucky though.

She tells me at the time the water rose so fast that they raced to the second floor as they could not open any doors on the lower floor or get out. For whatever reason her and a brother were in one bedroom and a sister with a baby in the adjoining room. They decided to smash a hole in the wall to crawl into the same room so they could all die together. 

Once they got in they sat on the bed as the water came in but luckily it did not get any higher and later they were able to get out. Meanwhile her mother was in Samar at their other house. Samar was devastated as well.

As roads were blocked and communication down the mother sent the other brother on a motorbike to Tacloban to find out if anyone survived, she told him to check bodies in their area for her family.

My girlfriend and her family were able to stay at a neighbors and sometime later the mother was able to get back and found them alive but the house was destroyed. 

Were any of our members there when Yolanda hit ? Any stories of survival? 

yolanda.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Yes I remember we had 4 inches of water in our front room.Some people had it much worse.