What about books, cds & dvds?

bigpearl
Posted
Posted

Well Queenie, succinct, concise and always from the heart. I am trying to let go and move on, I sincerely see my better half has flagrant disregard for  what constituted my simple life and all collections mean little or nothing from his perspective and on reflection hold no real value apart from "they are mine and hold sentimental value or that is worth money". My treasures mean nothing compared to our joint laboured future.

I appreciate the love of books, vinyl records, life collections, Australian Indigenous art and artefacts  with little and high value,,,,,,,,,,, Our, sorry my next phase in life definitely requires simplicity and on reflection as an ageing bloke and previously a compulsive collector have realised these things are superfluous, moving forward. Literature, art and the things we need/need to know are at ones fingertips with a computer with no need to consult an encyclopaedia  and  I could go on for hours. 

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, bigpearl said:

Well Queenie, succinct, concise and always from the heart. I am trying to let go and move on, I sincerely see my better half has flagrant disregard for  what constituted my simple life and all collections mean little or nothing from his perspective and on reflection hold no real value apart from "they are mine and hold sentimental value or that is worth money". My treasures mean nothing compared to our joint laboured future.

I appreciate the love of books, vinyl records, life collections, Australian Indigenous art and artefacts  with little and high value,,,,,,,,,,, Our, sorry my next phase in life definitely requires simplicity and on reflection as an ageing bloke and previously a compulsive collector have realised these things are superfluous, moving forward. Literature, art and the things we need/need to know are at ones fingertips with a computer with no need to consult an encyclopaedia  and  I could go on for hours. 

Cheers, Steve.

I understand Steve,  but I know you have the space in your future place for a few treasures.  Maybe it's just me, but pick a few things to keep--you'll treasure them even more here in my humble opinion. Not really used to giving advice to anyone, but a few small treasures might be appreciated someday here.  Just think about it anyway.:smile:

AS much as I love the Philippines, it can be a cultural wasteland in many areas at times for me. I like to still have books and things that keep me occupied and content.

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 11/8/2017 at 4:43 PM, Perla said:

With MP3 & YouTube cds are practically worth nothing.

Same applies to dvds.

I brought all of my DVDs, BluRays and CDs in Balikbayan boxes, and I regret it.  Back in the U.S. they would have had value to friends and family, and I could have given them away.  Over here, no value.  They are all in boxes and I don't use them.  Same for high end Denon DVD player and Samsung BluRay player.  Collecting dust.

My thinking at the time is that I would burn everything to hard disk, but that is very time consuming, and with my fast internet now, I can find and download anything I need, for temporary personal usage, of course.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I see that you were born in the Philippines.  Perhaps the following information will be of help.  This was taken from the following site:

http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular-services-2/notarials/related-services/duty-free-shipment-of-personal-and-household-effects-into-the-philippines

WHAT IS THE EXTENT OF DUTY AND TAX FREE PRIVILEGE OF RETURNING FILIPINOS/BALIKBAYANS?
 The extent varies as follows:

a. Returning Resident. Personal and household effects belonging to returning residents including household appliances, jewelry, precious stones, and other goods of luxury which were formally declared and listed before departure and identified before the District Collector when exported from the Philippines by such returning residents; personal and household effects including wearing apparel, goods of personal adornment, toilet goods, instruments related to one’s profession and other personal and household effects of the same kind except luxury items. Returning residents shall have tax and duty exemption on personal and household effects provided that:

It is not in commercial quantity;
It is not intended for barter, sale or for hire; and
Limited to the value of:
(i) Three hundred fifty thousand pesos (Php. 350,000.00) for those who have stayed in a foreign country for at least ten (10) years and have not avail of this privilege within the ten (10) years prior to returning resident’s arrival;

(ii) Two hundred fifty thousand pesos (Php. 250,000.00) for those who have stayed in a foreign country for at least five (5) years,  but not more than ten (10) years and have not avail of this privilege within five (5) years prior to returning resident’s arrival

(iii) One hundred fifty thousand pesos (Php. 150,000.00) for  those who have stayed in a foreign country for less than five (5) years and have not avail of this privilege within six (6) months prior to returning resident’s arrival

b. Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW). In addition to the privileges granted to Returning Residents as described above, an OFW may be allowed to bring in, tax and duty – free home appliances and other durables, limited to one of every kind once in a given calendar year accompanying them on their return or arriving within sixty (60) days after every OFWs return providing further that it shall not exceed the value of one hundred fifty thousand pesos (Php.150,000.00).

Residents of the Philippines, OFWs, or other Filipinos while residing abroad or upon their return to the Philippines shall be allowed to bring in or sent to their families and relatives in the Philippines balikbayan boxes which shall be exempt from applicable duties and taxes imposed under the NIRC of 1997; provided that:

balikbayan boxes contain personal and household effects only and shall not be in commercial quantities nor intended for barter, sale or for hire;
it shall not exceed one hundred fifty thousand pesos (Php. 150,000.00)
this privilege is only availed of  up to three (3) times in a calendar year; and
any amount in excess of the allowable non – dutiable value shall be subject to the applicable duties and taxes
c. Overseas Filipino. Professional instruments and implements, tools of trade occupation or employment, wearing apparel, domestic animals, and personal household effects in quantities and of the class suitable to the profession or rank, or position of the persons importing said items.

It shall be exempt from payment of Customs duties and taxes provided that the bureau may, upon the production of satisfactory evidence that such persons are actually coming to settle in the Philippines and that the goods are brought from their former place of abode except vehicles, aircrafts, machinery.

WHAT ARE THE CONDITIONS AND LIMITATIONS ATTACHED TO TAX EXEMPTION PRIVILEGES?
The following are the conditions for availment of duty and tax privileges;

Presentation to the Bureau of Customs of a favorable written endorsement from the department  which controls the availment of duty and tax free exemptions.
The goods extended duty and tax free privilege are not to be sold, bartered nor traded.
The quantity is not commercial.
The goods are not prohibited importations. (Prohibited/Restricted Importations)
For regulated items, endorsements from the proper regulatory agency. (Pet/Animals & Household Plants)

• Like 3

Perla
Posted
Posted

Dear Mike J,

many thanks for your most valuable information.

Perla & Mike

• Like 1

• 1 month later...