"Lightning" move

Perla
Posted
Posted

Hello,

my husband (& I) will travel to the Philippines on Saturday.

Please, correct me:

My husband has a valid return ticket.

He will automatically get a 30-day visa.

He will be able to extend his visa to one year before

expiration of his 30-day visa after payment of a fee.

I shall join my husband in February, leaving Thailand for good.

Kind regards,

Perla

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Welcome

Yes and no.

Yes he will get a 30 day visa waiver upon entry but from my understanding the next extension is 29 days , after that he will have to do his alien registration and pay a fee.  Then if I am correct he can ask for a 6 month extension. 

In your post you say you are both coming this Saturday ? In that case you ask for a BALIKBAYAN visa where he will get 12 months as long as you are with him and married.  ????

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted

JGF, I don't believe your rite there, don't forget she is a Pi but a citizen of another country. Until she renounces that citizenship and becomes a PI citizen again extension is her only course. Have known to be wrong and this is one time I hope I am, good luck Perla.

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Clermont said:

JGF, I don't believe your rite there, don't forget she is a Pi but a citizen of another country. Until she renounces that citizenship and becomes a PI citizen again extension is her only course. Have known to be wrong and this is one time I hope I am, good luck Perla.

She is still a balikbayan and can declare the privilege for herself and husband even if she is now a citizen of another country. My wife just did it. No problems.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, davewe said:

She is still a balikbayan and can declare the privilege for herself and husband even if she is now a citizen of another country. My wife just did it. No problems.

Agreed.  That is what the BB is all about.  @Perla will have a passport to show place of birth as Philippines and so long as they both have the same last name or have a marriage certificate then he gets a free year.  At least that's the way it works for everyone else :thumbsup:

EDIT:  But it would be a great idea to come with a return ticket for her husband "just in case".  That way he still qualifies for the free 30 days, even if immigration is having a bad day.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Perla said:

I shall join my husband in February

29 minutes ago, davewe said:

She is still a balikbayan

First quote is the key here IMO, it appears she will not be with him upon initial entry. Therefore BB unless he sweet talks the immigration folks I believe all he can get is a tourist visa.

Having said that, it might be worth a try to do it in proxy, just like getting baptism certificates for ofws or Turing on and off utilities for absent relatives. Have a certified letter asking for a BB visa, marriage certificate, birth certificate showing Filipine birth, her plane ticket showing she means to join him. Its a long shot, but stranger things have happened, this is the Philippines after all :hystery:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Perla said:

my husband (& I) will travel to the Philippines on Saturday.

11 minutes ago, scott h said:

First quote is the key here IMO

All good now?

Perla
Posted
Posted

Good morning,

thanks for your most valuable and interesting advice.

My wife will accompany me, BUT she has to return to Thailand

twice to arrange for the move of our household.

She will move to Thailand for good in February.

Right now she is a holder of a German passport.

Have a nice day everyone.

Mike (Perla's German husband)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Perla
Posted
Posted

My wife (German passport)  thinks "balikbayan" does not apply to her as she is a retiree and has not been working for 17 years.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Perla said:

"balikbayan" does not apply to her

We (many of us) believe it does, due to the fact she was born in Philippines and that fact will show on her passport.  But there is no harm in asking as it is freely given on arrival so ask, and if they say no then get the free 30 days (but they have no reason to say no).

• Like 1