Issues with elderly relative in the Philippines – advice needed

budakhan
Posted
Posted

From what I've found it seems he's on Luzon island near Angeles city.

i suppose it'd depend how much it cost but I'd be a bit weary about hiring someone else to access the situation.

are there actually expats that run this kind of informal PI businesses?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

There are some expats that run this kind of informal business but there are also shady characters who do not give you quality info.  I do not know any investigators operating on Luzon near Angeles City but perhaps some of the other members here could refer you to someone.  I would definitely go with a referral rather than randomly picking a name off the Internet.

• Like 1

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

Try to get the exact location by tricking the wife of that man. When he is really in needs then she will tell it. If she is refusing then it can loks like an attempt to get money from other expats.

PaulB
Posted
Posted

Budakhan

To find his location ask the girlfriend the location to send money Western Union. Tell her they need to know the pick up location. Once you have this you can ask the Embassy for help or perhaps even look to the local church in the area.

DO NOT SEND MONEY.

Paul

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Respectfully, I don't think trying to trick the wife/gf by telling her you're sending money is the way to go. What she has told you could be the straight truth, just because she's complaining they have no money doesn't necessarily mean she's scamming or ripping him off. It may be a legitimate call for help to his family. Or maybe not.

You need to talk to one of them directly, if she wants help that's the only way. I must say it's really something that you're willing to wade into this when your relative has apparently cut himself off from everyone and everything.

I (and others) know someone there who has a business doing investigations for various things, been doing it for many years. I've used his services (not for this) and trust him. He's not near there so if he looked into this there would be travel costs. I don't know if he would do it but I can send you his info and website privately if you want.  

• Like 5

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Is this gentleman a veteran? I think there is an American VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) post in Angeles City. Vets from many different country's will hang out with each other at the VFW post. Here is a link to their facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/VFW2485/

MikeB
Posted
Posted
On 11/9/2017 at 8:44 PM, budakhan said:

From what I've found it seems he's on Luzon island near Angeles city.

i suppose it'd depend how much it cost but I'd be a bit weary about hiring someone else to access the situation.

are there actually expats that run this kind of informal PI businesses?

The guy I know has a price list on the website of travel and expense fees to various cities and islands in $US dollars. Luzon is by far the most expensive and likely far more than you would be willing to spend. 

Angeles has the highest concentration of foreigners in the country. Looking for an old foreigner there would be like looking for a needle in a haystack if you don't have an address or at least a barangay.

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I see you mentioned dementia, the British government will look into this expediently as it is a health issue, don't fork out an airfare, the British government will ask you to pay for it, but, so sad I'm broke. They will fly him home and confiscate his passport until his airfare is paid, as far as overstaying fees are concerned, once the embassy is involved they will do deals with the PI embassy. Once he is home, they'll asses him and give him proper care, so sad having a disease like that in the PI. That is the way I'd go, I had a brother caught up in China, and that is how our government handled it, I believe that is how most Western countries handle cases like this.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Clermont said:

I believe that is how most Western countries handle cases like this

I know that is how Australia handles it as I saw them get an old Aussie out of a jam in the backwaters of Philippines.  I have never known any other embassies to do that.  I think you Aussies are lucky in that regard.

• Like 4

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I believe they do, it's not common knowledge and a bit of jumping up and down with threats of media intervention does wonders.

• Like 3