Posted
Posted

But for how long for will this be.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, stevewool said:

But for how long for will this be.

:89:Steve can, I say with respect I am sad to see this from you, I mean you Remember Yours, "Emms" and even family Birthdays, Every year no matter what, We just celebrated our "Mama's" 93 Birthday and she has Passed on Do you think we should ever Forget dates that are memorable? :huh: but have a very deep meaning :mellow:

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little
  • Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Sorry lads , I am not saying i will not remember the at all, i too wear the poppy and i will stand in silence and think of the past, i have visited many places in France and sat in silence wondering what it must have been like in those times.

I mentioned in another thread about a church stopping the hymn " Onward Christian Soldiers " because it may offend none Christians who may have fort in the wars , there has been lots of changers in such a short time .

Maybe i should not have mentioned "for how long" but just bow my head in silence .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, bastonjock said:

I've spent a lot of time researching my family history, in WW1 I had male relatives in 4 different army's, British ,USA,Canada and New Zealand, my grandfather lost 2 brothers and I've counted " Cousins " in our tally and it came to 7 deaths ,5 brits and 2 Canadians .

Last year I finally managed to track down the field where one of my grandfather's brothers were killed ,using a variety  of methods including Google earth .

I visited the field were he and over 300 of his comrades were killed in an assault on German positions, I placed a wooden cross with poppy on it and also visited the cemetery where his name is on the memorial, like so many there was nothing left of him

I was also at the Menin Gate for the commemoration of Rimy Ridge, one of my cousins was killed there

I've got my dad's medals out and cleaned them today ,he was at Dunkirk ,Dieppe, salerno, Malta, and Sicily, he was Navy 

My grandfather was a sergeant in the British army along with some of his brothers.His younger brothers joined the Aussie army as they did not ask for proof of age,Total 6 in WW1.May god rest their souls along with all the other souls.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

I'm a Vietnam veteran, where we fought on two fronts.  At times, the home front was even worse, coming back and facing the public's outrage.  And now we have needless deaths that happen during peace time operations.  Those 17 sailors (USS McCAIN and USS FITZGERALD) need complete closure for their families to finally know the truth what actually happen.  Unfortunately, I don't think the final chapter will ever be reveal.  Human error is just too embarrassing for the US Navy to accept.  Such loss of life wasted at the prime of their youth and energy.

In our golden years, many of us have been thrown under the bus from time to time.  But we survive -- only to face some grave danger, just around the corner.  I am not too optimistic about the saber rattling between NKorea and US.  I believe the United States is becoming more divided, less united.  I ask you, are we better off on a global scale?

For those that gave the ultimate sacrifice in blood, may they rest in peace.  For those that are preparing to go to war,  all it take is one finger on the nuclear button for either side to start the madness.  How should we grieve then.....for the dead and dying?  

I will certainly give thanks on Thanksgiving Day......for making it thus far.   Respectfully Jake 

• Thanks 3