Jump to content
Dr. Shiva

Somewhat funny approaching at car vs. public transport

Recommended Posts

How many rides with the local public transport can you do for the money you could use to afford a decent middle class car? :89: Assume a such car costs 1 Mio PHP and one ride with the public transport costs 10 PHP you could do 100,000 rides. :thumbsup: When you have a couple and both of you use 5 rides per day per person you will spend 100 PHP per day. (That is less than one ride with local public transportation in switzerland for 3 km for just one person.) That means 10,000 days riding local public transportations. :thumbsup: Now assume that you do not every day ride or do not ride 5 rides per day. All days calculated together will result in a sum of about 300 days with 5 rides per day. Now divide the 10,000 days with 300 days per year and you will get aproximately 33.3 years you can ride with the local public transport till you use the same sum as for purchasing a car. :thumbsup: :smile::shades::morning1:

A note: when you have more than one kid it would be more convenient to use a car even in the Philippines. Even if you still could be cheaper with the local public transport. And this is not a plea against the car. Who can afford a car and want one, should buy and drive that one. :thumbsup: 

Edited by Dr. Shiva
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great topic. 

This is a difficult question to answer in general terms. Many factors to consider. Location, safety time management and budget would be important to me. 

If you lived in Manila or Cebu City a flying car would be nice 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Shiva said:

How many rides with the local public transport can you do for the money you could use to afford a decent middle class car? :89: Assume a such car costs 1 Mio PHP and one ride with the public transport costs 10 PHP you could do 100,000 rides. :thumbsup: When you have a couple and both of you use 5 rides per day per person you will spend 100 PHP per day. (That is less than one ride with local public transportation in switzerland for 3 km for just one person.) That means 10,000 days riding local public transportations. :thumbsup: Now assume that you do not every day ride or do not ride 5 rides per day. All days calculated together will result in a sum of about 300 days with 5 rides per day. Now divide the 10,000 days with 300 days per year and you will get aproximately 33.3 years you can ride with the local public transport till you use the same sum as for purchasing a car. :thumbsup: :smile::shades::morning1:

A note: when you have more than one kid it would be more convenient to use a car even in the Philippines. Even if you still could be cheaper with the local public transport. And this is not a plea against the car. Who can afford a car and want one, should buy and drive that one. :thumbsup: 

Please all posts should be in english :whistling:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Old55 said:

If you lived in Manila or Cebu City a flying car would be nice 

Actually I would say essential 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The choice is for convenience and not always cost.I was here for 6 years before I had transport.These days I would not be without it.Each to their own.Public transport is ok on the main routes anything else you will have less convenience and the cost is much higher.

Edited by sonjack2847
Add tex well it is Sunday morning.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not done the calculation but my guess is I'd have to live to 100 to pay off the car if the only consideration was the cost of public transportation.

Nonetheless we bought a car within a month of our move here and we're happy we did. I agree with Kevin that public transport is convenient and I still use it occasionally. 

The ultimate decision to buy a vehicle and what kind of vehicle is more based on lifestyle preferences and finances, rather than the cost/benefit compared to trikes.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

22 hours ago, Dr. Shiva said:

 you will get aproximately 33.3 years you can ride with the local public transport till you use the same sum as for purchasing a car. :thumbsup: :smile::shades::morning1:

 

 

At a 104 years old I will be flying without wings :hystery:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, davewe said:

I've not done the calculation but my guess is I'd have to live to 100 to pay off the car if the only consideration was the cost of public transportation.

Nonetheless we bought a car within a month of our move here and we're happy we did. I agree with Kevin that public transport is convenient and I still use it occasionally. 

The ultimate decision to buy a vehicle and what kind of vehicle is more based on lifestyle preferences and finances, rather than the cost/benefit compared to trikes.

You have done it the right way. If I would live on Siquijor, Camiguin or similar areas I would buy a car also. Is more convenient there and the traffic is so low. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2017 at 1:19 AM, Dr. Shiva said:

How many rides with the local public transport can you do for the money you could use to afford a decent middle class car? :89: Assume a such car costs 1 Mio PHP and one ride with the public transport costs 10 PHP you could do 100,000 rides. :thumbsup: When you have a couple and both of you use 5 rides per day per person you will spend 100 PHP per day. (That is less than one ride with local public transportation in switzerland for 3 km for just one person.) That means 10,000 days riding local public transportations. :thumbsup: Now assume that you do not every day ride or do not ride 5 rides per day. All days calculated together will result in a sum of about 300 days with 5 rides per day. Now divide the 10,000 days with 300 days per year and you will get aproximately 33.3 years you can ride with the local public transport till you use the same sum as for purchasing a car. :thumbsup: :smile::shades::morning1:

A note: when you have more than one kid it would be more convenient to use a car even in the Philippines. Even if you still could be cheaper with the local public transport. And this is not a plea against the car. Who can afford a car and want one, should buy and drive that one. :thumbsup: 

Cost wise, public transit will win over private cars in almost every country.  And in many countries, public transportation is very safe, clean and reliable.  In the U.S., it is not that great in most cities.  In most of Europe, excellent.

Even if I didn't have 3 kids and live in an area where a car is needed, using Philippine public transportation does not make sense for me most of the time.  I use it only in emergencies and locally that would be a taxi.

Health - Smoke belching trikes and jeepneys will take a toll on your health over time.  In my case, it made me sick the first 6 months I was here and I have lingering effects.

Safety - You have no protection in a jeep or trike, in the case of a hard accident.  Every time you see scenes from a Philippine accident (plenty on you tube) the victims are lying on the pavement, thrown from the vehicles (in this case, usually trikes).  For my children, the next vehicle I buy here will full all around airbags and my kids are in their car seats 95% of the time.

Safety - Jeeps are a prime location for petty theft and pickpockets.  Buses too.  Years ago the kid behind me on a bus cut a hole in my bag and stole some things.  All while feigning sleep.

Bad drivers - We see all the time how bad and / or rude the jeep and trike drivers are.  Why would you want to jump in with them if there is another option you can afford?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Judging by the number of trikes on the road in Angeles it's safe to say you can't always get where you want to go on the 8p jeepneys. Why not run the numbers again substituting trikes for Jeepneys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×