Somewhat funny approaching at car vs. public transport

softail
Posted
Posted

We will be moving to Tagaytay middle of next year, been kicking around the idea of buying  a car of some  kind.  Am so used to coming and going as I please, I really need the freedom that my own transportation gives me.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, softail said:

We will be moving to Tagaytay middle of next year, been kicking around the idea of buying  a car of some  kind.

I see your point.  In some rural areas expats get around with personal use tricycles and that is the cheapest form of transport I can think of to do all the things most do in their car.  Its not high class but its cheap.  But that would not work around a city where tricycles are not allowed so I believe a car works well in your situation.

• Like 1

ClearSky
Posted
Posted
On 11/11/2017 at 9:19 AM, Dr. Shiva said:

Who can afford a car and want one, should buy and drive that one. :thumbsup: 

Great analysis of this topic;  

Reasons for moving or living in Philippines vary,  if it is financial based looking to live low cost, car is one of the places that can be saved on because of public transport.  I can get anyplace anytime as long as have a cell phone and half a dozen drivers numbers.  The overall topic about the car cost I think is even important in western countries.  Seen many a person spend there future retirements on having several luxury cars on credit..

If the cost of a car is in the budget,  along with the convenience of having it I think it is even more of a status symbol hear than in western countries and slightly in a different way.

• Like 1

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted (edited)

With 1M Php you can also do approximately 5000 to 10,000 taxi rides with up to 4 persons per ride and taxis are almost more convenient. With 500 taxi rides per year you can still ride up to 20 years. :smile::shades::thumbsup: 

When I think that a 200 php taxi ride costs about the same as for one ride for one person with public transportation in Switzerland for about the same distance or even shorter distances. One month public transport pass for one person for one zone (an area of a diameter of about 5 km) costs CHF 88.- (4400 php) equals to 22 to 44 taxi rides. When you are two persons in switzerland you have to double the pass costs. Equals to another 22 to 44 taxi rides per month. Totally 44 to 88 taxi rides you can do per month for the cost of two local public transportation month passes in Switzerland. That means riding taxis in the Philippines is still cheaper than one to two monthly passes for the local public transportation in Switzerland. Another point in the calculation which speaks for a living in the Philippines.

Edited by Dr. Shiva

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dr. Shiva said:

With 1M Php you can also do approximately 5000 to 10,000 taxi rides with up to 4 persons per ride and taxis are almost more convenient. With 500 taxi rides per year you can still ride up to 20 years. :smile::shades::thumbsup: 

When I think that a 200 php taxi ride costs about the same as for one ride for one person with public transportation in Switzerland for about the same distance or even shorter distances. One month public transport pass for one person for one zone (an area of a diameter of about 5 km) costs CHF 88.- (4400 php) equals to 22 to 44 taxi rides. When you are two persons in switzerland you have to double the pass costs. Equals to another 22 to 44 taxi rides per month. Totally 44 to 88 taxi rides you can do per month for the cost of two local public transportation month passes in Switzerland. That means riding taxis in the Philippines is still cheaper than one to two monthly passes for the local public transportation in Switzerland. Another point in the calculation which speaks for a living in the Philippines.

It's all relevant such as  the cost in Switzerland . Similar to the fact the US dollar has much more value to say my Australian dollar so we can calculate it until we are dead but at the end of the day its what you have or where you get it from that influences all.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Another consideration is parking, spending a great deal of time in Bacolod I often end up walking for 10 minutes or so. Dumaguete is not far behind  although one enjoys the comforts of a car at times it seems to me to be a burden in a city.

Further sitting, sweating in a jeep does come risk free, yesterday in Dumaguete almost clobbered one of the brain dead guys on motor cycle, if or perhaps when it happens it's a major. It's just so crazy what some of them attempt. Public transport no worries. 

Now we drive A to B mostly park up and use public transport, more so after dark. 

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 11/13/2017 at 9:45 AM, OnMyWay said:

Cost wise, public transit will win over private cars in almost every country.  And in many countries, public transportation is very safe, clean and reliable.  In the U.S., it is not that great in most cities.  In most of Europe, excellent.

Even if I didn't have 3 kids and live in an area where a car is needed, using Philippine public transportation does not make sense for me most of the time.  I use it only in emergencies and locally that would be a taxi.

Health - Smoke belching trikes and jeepneys will take a toll on your health over time.  In my case, it made me sick the first 6 months I was here and I have lingering effects.

Safety - You have no protection in a jeep or trike, in the case of a hard accident.  Every time you see scenes from a Philippine accident (plenty on you tube) the victims are lying on the pavement, thrown from the vehicles (in this case, usually trikes).  For my children, the next vehicle I buy here will full all around airbags and my kids are in their car seats 95% of the time.

Safety - Jeeps are a prime location for petty theft and pickpockets.  Buses too.  Years ago the kid behind me on a bus cut a hole in my bag and stole some things.  All while feigning sleep.

Bad drivers - We see all the time how bad and / or rude the jeep and trike drivers are.  Why would you want to jump in with them if there is another option you can afford?

I forgot one other important factor for some of us.  If you are a larger person like me, getting in and out of the small jeepneys and trikes is quite torturous.  Sitting in them is almost as bad.  I end up looking like a wet rag before the destination is reached.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 11/12/2017 at 3:14 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Please all posts should be in english

Good one JGF.  The things people do to pass the time.  But anyway, you forgot to include the loss of wallets from pickpockets on jeepney and hospitalisation  due to the concussion  received getting in and out of the bloody things.  Give me a car any day, bugger the costs.

Edited by mogo51
typo due to chronic concussion.
  • Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

If I lived out in the province I would probably buy a trike.  I am close enough to the city that public transport is fine with me.  Cars are crazy expensive here. I love how convenient the jeepneys are (during the daytime anyway...)

I was talking to a friend that had just bought a new car. He was going on how about cheap the monthly payment was. When I asked him the total price he just laughed and said he would be dead before it was paid off - so not his problem.  That is one way of looking at it ha ha :tiphat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted

Great topic Dr. Shiva and one that many obviously think about. Demographics, budget, life style (freedom), lol, perhaps perceived in all countries as such and as others have mentioned personal situations. I/we like others have said on this and other forums and agree that if living in a big city like Manila or similar, a choice for one reason or another a car would be the last thing I would contemplate wasting money on as the public system has always worked well for us and while Bengie has a motorbike 99% of the time jumps in the jeepney for the 3 kilometre ride to work as he values his life and takes little of value to be pilfered by the unscrupulous.

Only for us, living in the province where we purchased is some 600 metres to the main road with few tricycles and less Jeepney's, walk another 3 kilometres into town and just as hectic with a plethora of public transport no different to all major centres. Yep as one member does/suggests, gather the contact details of the local transport dudes, that works too but hey when we want to go fishing 20 or a hundred clicks north or spend the weekend chilling up in Vigan city or Pagudpud, nope we need a car and 2 bikes for the local things,,,,,,,, yep your bike/my bike. Possibly we are fortunate enough to be able to afford what could be seen as an extravagant lifestyle by the locals,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,doh, every one else there does exactly the same.

Convenience and independence wins the day whether dollars/circumstances, each needs to make a stand to suit personal needs with chosen geographical locale and individual needs/desires. For me/us with a chosen  home away from the hub with central high density living, a set of wheels is a must.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1