Please help me find a city to live near

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, boyee said:

His house is built in a gated community.  Can anyone tell me if that is a must

Some think so, and others do not like them.  I'd have to say its a personal choice how you want to live and how you perceive the risk.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, boyee said:

Keeping a low profile with financial means will be a must.  I figured on this forum It was okay but certainly don't want to paint a big target on my back around those whom have had less advantages in life.

I was referring to when you are there looking for the house but you know the situation. Nothing to fear on the forum; except maybe that "Jack" guy, looks like a rough character from the photos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Gated accommodation, what are you going to the PI"s for, I thought you wanted to experience the lifestyle  of an Asian country. If you read some of the forums comments on security, you'll be fine living were you want too. Don't forget the advise that is given by expats that have lived in the PI"s for years are sound and were people get into trouble is, flashing money around, loud mouth's, disrespecting the locals and acting like your above the locals. Weigh up the situation and try to fit in, sometimes charity in the right direction helps and seeing your wife is PI, let her have the reigns, sit back and let her sort out the financial problems with relies and down and outs, it has worked well for me. By the way, after writing that last sentence, i remembered, start practising, yes dear, no dear, and you'll be rite living anywhere. 

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, boyee said:

His house is built in a gated community.  Can anyone tell me if that is a must for security purposes?

Most filipino's do not leave their home unattended. Someone will always be there to look after it and make it less of a target of opportunity for break in and theft. A condo  which has building security is an example of a place I would feel comfortable leaving with no one there. A home in a gated community with a good security I may leave unattended. The type of place you are interested in with up to 10 acre's is not a type of place I would leave without someone there.

• Like 4

boyee
Posted
Posted
On 11/11/2017 at 4:13 PM, scott h said:

We plan on having one or two Ya Ya help who will live on the property along with a few German Shepherds.  I would think the property will never be unattended.   I think my main concern would be hostage situation.   I'd prefer not to be in a gated community but not sure about safety.  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 11/14/2017 at 6:15 AM, boyee said:

We plan on having one or two Ya Ya help who will live on the property along with a few German Shepherds.

You can trust your dogs but will you find the trustworthy yayas? 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The dogs are there to keep the yayas honest. :hystery:

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Wasn't there a spate of pedigree dog thefts and a black market for them a few years back.

• I'm Confused 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted

Hey Boyee, welcome to this forum and hope you glean what you seek, enjoy mate.

Firstly, and I may be wrong but I thought returning Filipinos/ holding dual or a foreign national status were limited with the amount of land that can be purchased,,,,,,, is it 1 hectare or one acre? others can chime in here as I am too slack to do the research.

Security and a nice place to live that suits your requirements involves a hell of a lot of research and not just believing all you read or hear but experiencing, spend time, invest and as we all seem to say "boots on the ground" once you have narrowed down an area that suits your needs, then rethink and think again. Secure environs can be found outside gated communities and condo's, one simply needs to look. With your proposed budget living outside a medium or small city the world is your oyster. We are in the midst of downsizing from 50 acres in Oz to 2,500M2 with concrete 3 bed 2 bath house, absolute beachfront to the high tide mark, have been wondering if I will be bored looking at an horizon all dat every day, 4 kms out of Bacnotan La Union, some 40K souls, 4 minutes, 20 odd mins to a great hospital and 30 minutes to San Fernando City. Worst house in the best street etc. Cheap at well under 6M Pesos and no land maintenance as such, another 6 to 7 M Pesos and we have our home as we want within a very small community with no roosters, no karaoke and no crime,,,,,,,,,, so far. Areas like this can be found all over the Philippines. 

The downside is we are 6 hours from Manila and 4 hours from Clarke airports. The upside is who cares we are retiring.

Good luck with your search boyee, experience dictates not too far from the family by western standards and not close enough, 4 tricycle rides, 2 or 3 Jeepny's or a bus ride and you are still not safe. Your comment about they are all well to do, self sufficient means naught and you will join the ranks of the wealthy westerner.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'd seriously look at Palawan to the North of Puerto Princessa. Lots of land and farms for sale there at decent prices. Puerto Princessa is up and comming. No typhoons, earthquakes and nice people.

As for the tattoos as others will tell you a lot has changed in five years. Where I live there's next to no women without one and a lot of ex pats sport them.