The ugly embarrassing foreigner

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Here's a story of how drunk foreigners give us other foreigners a bad name.  

Last night I was in my usually watering hole restaurant which is a large open air type with a Filipina friend when in comes two foreigners around 60 plus years old. One had a child with him who was about 3 years old. They sat at the table next to mine and obviously were already drunk before arriving. The one without the child we will call Mr B. Mr B talking loud fu??ing this and that etc which turned me off as others could hear on all the other tables. 

Now both Mr B and who we will call Mr A with the child were drinking glasses of whiskey and bottles of beer at the same time. I hear Mr B saying he will take the child to Mcdonalds which is across the road directly behind Mr A.

Mr A so drunk says Mcdonald's is that way pointing the wrong direction but his friend said no its behind you which this guy should know as he often drinks in this place but anyway Mr B staggers off with the child. Five or ten minutes later Mr A calls over a staff member and tells her to find his kid. (Who's responsible for one's own child?) Only a few seconds goes by and a waiter was taking an order and Mr A shouts at him that no one is looking for him, Sir we are looking and at that point I intervened and said to Mr A that your friend took him to Mcdonalds and he told you.

Oh Mcdonald's is over there again pointing the wrong direction. At the same time I said look, there they are comming up the path so all was good.

As more whisky and beer were consumed the child was getting sleepy but Mr A was too busy getting drunker. So now more time has passed and Mr A started trying to get staff attention by continually yelling out the word dick hxxed.

By now I had had enough. I said, hey bud, have some respect, you are making all foreigners look bad. Mr B raises to his feet and stands over me with his big frame, he's face is red and missing teeth looking down at me. Don't you fire up at me he says, I'm "British", I said I don't care but you need to show respect when you are in another country. Mr A said something back so I said, hey, I seen when you were a manager for a short time at an expat bar when someone was behaving like you, you would put your finger on your mouth and say shhh. Have some common respect I repeated. 

Mr B still standing over me says something like, yes you're right it's not our country and we should be more respectful. Now he asks where I'm from and I tell him (I think at first being so drunk he thought I was Filipino) He then wants to shake my hand and says we are friends bla bla so to defuse the situation I shook his hand and agreed with him.

He said he will try to get Mr A to go home which at this stage the child is asleep on the floor. Mr A would not go so Mr B said he will wait for him and staggered out towards the road almost falling on the grass. I could see him waiting and looking to see if Mr A was comming but Mr A was basically asleep.  

I see Mr B gave up and got into a taxi and left. 

Finally Mr A tries to stand up while trying to pick up the child and a bag of Mcdonald's food. He did manage to get up and staggers with the child towards an exit but stops saying something to staff which I could not hear. Another foreigner stops to talk to him presuming he was trying to help him but I dont know but anyway a staff member walks him out and I see Mr A and child walking off.  Hopefully they got home safe.

So other than being embarrassing which make us all look bad in the eyes of the Filipino Mr A should not be so drunk while being the guardian of a small child.

Was I wrong to say anything? Should I just mind my own business and allow this to continue bearing in mind the staff there are like my family and I dont think they should be summoned with the word dick he??

Well done to you my wife saw a similar thing this morning in south supermarket, the guy was tattooed and wanted everyone to see and hear he was tough by telling the poor girl he was with what she had to buy and only what he told her. There was an elderly filipino couple with them who looked frightened.

But the security guards told him to keep his voice down.

Which made the guy go all sheepish.

• Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

You were 100% right Jollygoodfellow. I've never heard older guys behaving like that  but I've had to step in when a young British guy ( not Scottish 😉) was doing similar thing.

He came into my local with three other guys and a group of bar girls. I think it was his first time here as everytime a pretty girl walked by he shouted out fu@#ing hell. I was with my partner trying to eat my meal and I could see he was annoying some local guys. He then sat down with his friends and girls at a table near me. You could hear him shouting over everyone and every 3rd word was a swear word. 

He went to light up a cigarette and the only security guy asked him not to. He told the security guy no one is bothered if he lights up, he then shouted at a Korean guy at the next table " hey fatty do you give a sh&€ if I smoke?" He stood up and was pointing to people and asking them in a threatening manner. It came to my turn and by then I could feel the hairs on my neck standing up. I hate bullies and ignorant people so I told him if he lights up he'll wake up on the beach. I was fuming. He did himself a favour and left the bar as if I hadn't knocked him out the locals would have done him serious damage. 

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Was I wrong to say anything?

I have had to "say something" to a friend on occasion.  Sometimes even friends don't listen to reason when they are drunk.  Many drunks are weak as pussy cats when drunk and if they start something I can calm them down.  I know a couple who are as tough drunk as they are sober and when drunk they don't react well to my "saying something" and I am not strong enough to put those couple on the ground, even when they are shit face drunk.

So the point is actions have consequences.  You were fine saying something so long as you were prepared for whatever consequences came out of it.  Sometimes a person just has to stand up to stupidity and damn the consequences.  Your encounter sure sounds like one of those times.

• Like 5

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So the point is actions have consequences.  You were fine saying something so long as you were prepared for whatever consequences came out of it.  Sometimes a person just has to stand up to stupidity and damn the consequences.  Your encounter sure sounds like one of those times.

I would say that if he or they tried to fight me one push and they would be on the floor and I doubt if they could get up without help. I mean too drunk to do anything. 

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Country singer Tanya Tucker summed it up best, "If you never been in a bar you ain't missed nothing".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • I'm Confused 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Trust me you did OK and I am Tough and I know cos she told me  so Jack (and her Indoors).jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, MikeB said:

Country singer Tanya Tucker summed it up best, "If you never been in a bar you ain't missed nothing".

OH! Mike i don't know about that Jack & kev.jpg =kev.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I tend to take the position that unless it's directly affecting me or one of my group then it's not my battle so keep out of it. If someone is abusing the staff, I'm of the opinion that's down to the management to manage, not the customers. These things can go so wrong and quickly. You rarely get any thanks for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I tend to take the position that unless it's directly affecting me or one of my group then it's not my battle so keep out of it. If someone is abusing the staff, I'm of the opinion that's down to the management to manage, not the customers. These things can go so wrong and quickly. You rarely get any thanks for it.

Agree, but the OP mentioned that the staff were "like family" so it's kinda hard not to speak up.

I never paid much mind to the "making us all look bad" argument. Most semi-intelligent people understand that there are a_h_es of all race, color, creed and nationality. 

4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Was I wrong to say anything?

Since the staff are friends and there was a child involved, imo, no. If these jerks had gone too far out of line they wouldn't be the first ones to learn a hard lesson about pushing the locals too far.

• Like 3