The ugly embarrassing foreigner

Notright
Posted
Posted

There are bad Foreigners and bad Filipinos and bad people in every group. What's the point? I don't feel any sort of responsibility due to the actions of others.  Why do I need to atone for the sins of someone that I don't even know?

One thing I am curious though is why do expats in the Philippines just love to bash other expats? Every single expat group or forum that I am in I always see expats putting down other expats. Its like if you guys hate each other that much why join an expat group? This seems to be unique to the Philippines because when I lived in Mexico as an expat that didn't happen. The expat community was great and really helped each other out. Sad that doesn't happen here. 

• Like 1
  • I'm Confused 1

Notright
Posted
Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

You don`t have to atone.One thing to remember is that the actions of a few reflect on the rest of us.

Which goes to my next point. I don't understand why Western Expats seem to hate each other so much.  The Filipinos know it too which why almost every gold digger I've encountered will tell me some sad story on how an American/European treated them in order to garner my sympathy.  Other groups in the Philippines don't hate each other. Koreans for example stick together. Every time I go to DFA and I see a Korean he's got at least 2-3 of his buddies with him to make sure he's being treated fairly. Even the Nigerians stick together. I always see them in groups and they help each other  out if there's a problem .  Case in point a landlord where I live was very blatant that she wouldn't rent to blacks. Well the blacks got together and caused a big stink over at city hall about it. Long story short she ended up having to pay THEM a settlement!.

But every time an American/Westerner complains about a problem I see other expats responding 'no sympathy' or 'you should've known'. 'that's what you get' basically put the blame back on him.  I never see whites hanging out in groups. 

Edited by Notright

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Notright said:

I never see whites hanging out in groups.

Whelp, if you think about it, most of the groups that you mention move here out for to improve their standing. Most westerners move here as retirees. Most retirees stick close to home. The ones that move here are your "rugged individuals". They feel komfortable in their own skin and don't really need the validation of friends or groups. If a guy is the type that relishes stopping at the bar for a chat on the way home, or watching the game with his buddies on a Sunday. This is not the place for him.

7 minutes ago, Notright said:

Every time I go to DFA

Now when I go to the BOI I have yet to meet a rude westerner. Most will settle down for a chat during the wait, but we never exchange phone numbers and such.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, scott h said:

Now when I go to the BOI I have yet to meet a rude westerner. Most will settle down for a chat during the wait, but we never exchange phone numbers and such.

:hystery: Visit Dumaguete BI then my friend :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Notright
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:hystery: Visit Dumaguete BI then my friend :whistling:

I'm afraid he's right there are rude westerners. I was at PLDT to pay my bill and this French guy was yelling at the clerk. Don't get me wrong PLDT sucks but he didn't need to yell. His FIlipina(s)--there were two of them-- was so embarrassed by him too. I don't even think he took the time to realize that. 

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Notright said:

I never see whites hanging out in groups. 

Dumaguete meeting next Thursday.There are also groups of whites and other races who meet regularly in Robinsons place,Valencia and a few other places.

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Notright said:

Which goes to my next point. I don't understand why Western Expats seem to hate each other so much.  The Filipinos know it too which why almost every gold digger I've encountered will tell me some sad story on how an American/European treated them in order to garner my sympathy.  Other groups in the Philippines don't hate each other. Koreans for example stick together. Every time I go to DFA and I see a Korean he's got at least 2-3 of his buddies with him to make sure he's being treated fairly. Even the Nigerians stick together. I always see them in groups and they help each other  out if there's a problem .  Case in point a landlord where I live was very blatant that she wouldn't rent to blacks. Well the blacks got together and caused a big stink over at city hall about it. Long story short she ended up having to pay THEM a settlement!.

But every time an American/Westerner complains about a problem I see other expats responding 'no sympathy' or 'you should've known'. 'that's what you get' basically put the blame back on him.  I never see whites hanging out in groups. 

It's an interesting comment. I certainly don't hate someone simply because he's an expat. OTOH I don't feel compelled to hang out with someone just because he's white. While there are plenty of good guys here in Dumaguete, there are plenty of sketchy guys as well. If I wouldn't want to know them in the US, why would I want to know them here?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

ScottH: Whelp, that's a bit harsh :hystery: don't forget you were young once and may have had blinkers on when you were young too. Nurture and teach him the ways of mature adolescents, he will come good, some of his posts are common sense, then again some are tripe. Patience ScottH, patience. :whistling: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

I haven't met a-hole Westerners in the Phils. One dude I am friends with still. Some Spanish college age' vacationers might qualify as aholes (both male and female) but I digress since everybody is entitled to be stupid when they're young and dumb. They were rich spoiled kids on vacay.

That said, if the typical expat can be judged from what you see and hear about on online, they aren't people I'd terribly inclined to be friends with. I'd rather hang out with my wife's relatives next time I am there, good people, they remind me of my own folks. That said, generalizations can be wrong, since individuals are all different. I like this board from all the ones I visited when I was looking for info a while back, because it's the only one I know of that isn't full of creepy people. Weirdos I am OK with, I'm a bit eccentric myself. 

b91e25bf90377be72242ff9b7e2bf33fdcaab357beb0ef7ed7a001dbd022ecb5.jpg

Edited by Reboot