Gotta Get Outta Manila

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Jeff R Us said:

I am very interested in Valencia. Just wondering about the distance to Duma City. That,s why I'm considering half-way.

In good traffic its a 20 minute jeepney ride between Valencia and Duma and its built up all the way so one kind of fades into the other.

28 minutes ago, Jeff R Us said:

Yerha has family in Moalboal.

Thats not a long drive from Dumaguete and the road is good.  Depending where in Duma you end up it may be 2 to 4 hours of driving plus 45 minutes on the ferry.  Great for an overnight trip.

14 minutes ago, Jeff R Us said:

I was also told that there are some decent doctors in Duma.

Yeah there are some but all the good ones are overbooked.  The medical facilities around Dumaguete are currently inadequate for the population, IMHO.

So its not paradise around this area but it isn't all bad either.  Lots like it and a few hate it.

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Jeff R Us said:

Palawan is getting busy and growing. We were in the province 20 minutes north of Puerto. The traffic and pollution was getting crazy when heading into town. Most of the time we could take care of our needs at the Robinson Mall. The only reason we are not going back to Palawan is that I found the hospital and medical services seriously lacking. I still need to feel secure about a decent hospital like Silliman. I was also told that there are some decent doctors in Duma. The word going around is that Palawan is going to get real crazy in the next five years. Sad

Good to know about the medical facilities in Palawan, I'm not getting any younger. 

17 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

In good traffic its a 20 minute jeepney ride between Valencia and Duma and its built up all the way so one kind of fades into the other.

And the strange thing is it goes from two to four lanes once you're out of the traffic...  

• Like 1

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jeff R Us said:

Palawan is getting busy and growing. We were in the province 20 minutes north of Puerto. The traffic and pollution was getting crazy when heading into town. Most of the time we could take care of our needs at the Robinson Mall. The only reason we are not going back to Palawan is that I found the hospital and medical services seriously lacking. I still need to feel secure about a decent hospital like Silliman. I was also told that there are some decent doctors in Duma. The word going around is that Palawan is going to get real crazy in the next five years. Sad

The airport in San Vicente is already opened and will be served by more airlines next year. I have a bad feeling about Port Barton that this scenic area will be turned into a mass tourist place like Boracay. Therefore visit it as long it is not overcrowded and not spoiled with luxury hotels.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Do you have a spouse?  Do you have kids?  If so what's the "other half's" main language?  It can make a difference as some have found.  

Very pertinent point Brett, my other half had some trouble when down in the Visayas, speaks Tagalog.  The 'two hour' is about 2 hours too close  IMO.  Have had lots of good feedback regarding Palawan.  Wherever you choose, I am sure you will settle in well.

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jeff R Us said:

You guys are great! Looking forward to meeting those interested. The beer is on me......................well the 1st one. Reading the replies it seems that I am on the right track. I am very interested in Valencia. Just wondering about the distance to Duma City. That,s why I'm considering half-way. I definitely want a good internet connection. Have a terrific wife that speaks Cebuano, Wari Wari, and of course tagalog. Yerha has family in Moalboal. They all speak very highly of Dumaguete.

As to distance, I am at the beginning of Valencia (E. Balabag), so I guess you'd consider that halfway. Going up the hill, add 5-15 minutes depending on how far up you are. And of course it depends on where in Duma you want to go. Robinson's and Hypermart are closer. If you want to go downtown and the traffic is bad and you take the national hwy. it can be long, 

Good internet connection is problematic everywhere but Valencia does have PLDT fiber now. 

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

I am pretty familiar with Bacolod and Dumaguete, your decision will depend on what your own preferences are, horses for courses etc.

As others have said there are many cute smaller towns like Amlan Bacong, close to Dumaguete, often once one is outside the city bounary problems seem to occur more frequently, such as water, power cuts roosters karaoke and such. My own personal choice would be Valencia as I just love nature. Climate wise also plays a part. Appears though to be high percentage of foreigners now living there.

Dumaguete proper is very crowded, and traffic is bad, especially brain dead motor cyclists. Seems every visit I almost have an accident. On the other side some great restos...

Bacolod for this poster is far preferable than Dumaguete, less likely to have an accident,  good shopping and although some pollution it's less than Dumaguete. Big plus for me is IloIlo close by, I really enjoy this city although never lived there. Why not have 3 months in both before deciding.

• Like 5

Jeff R Us
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, RBM said:

I am pretty familiar with Bacolod and Dumaguete, your decision will depend on what your own preferences are, horses for courses etc.

Horses for courses of course.  I fully intend to visit Bacolod as I've read many positive reviews. I need to see for myself which of two areas are a better fit for me. Thank you for your input.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow