Fastest way to ACR-I card

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Coolcalm said:

Thanks to all.

As you will have learned by the experiences of others, it is quite common for everyone to have a slightly different experience when dealing with Immigration officials in Philippines.  In truth, I have had slightly different experiences almost every time I exit and enter the country.

So there is no one right answer.  You will probably be fine entering with a pre-issued 59 day visa.  Then you go to a BI office that will issue you a visa extension after about 6 weeks (or so) of being here and they will sell you a tourist ACR ard with the visa extension.  Standard operating procedure.  Every tourist is required to buy one after their 59th day here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Howard said:

a TOURIST ACR card. I found it to be quite useless as far as opening a bank account and things like that at any major bank in the Philippines, I also couldn't use it to get a drivers license.

Just another "your mileage may vary" thing.  I have only ever had a Tourist ACR and I have used it to open 3 or 4 bank accounts.  Perhaps they take into account how long a person has actually lived here in addition to whether they have that ACR card or not?  I have had a drivers license here for years so not sure if it would help with that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

If your wife has dual passports, why not come in under a 13 Visa?  I would say 13a but I think if you apply outside the Philippines, it's 13d...  Or something like that... It's cheaper than doing the tourist visa thing and gives you a few more rights...  Such as you can get your license, bank accounts, work if you want to, a lot of things you can't get anymore under a tourist visa...

As for the throwaway ticket?  I was asked to show it at both the airport before flying in...  And when I got here...  So if you rent one, I recommend holding on to it until you are here...  I actually got a ticket to China cheaper than renting so...  Lol!

Howard
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Just another "your mileage may vary" thing.  I have only ever had a Tourist ACR and I have used it to open 3 or 4 bank accounts.  Perhaps they take into account how long a person has actually lived here in addition to whether they have that ACR card or not?  I have had a drivers license here for years so not sure if it would help with that.

Yes of course Dave. I think everyone here is quite aware of how things work in the PI. what works for some one day won't work for others the next. Usually dependent on a few factors like location, mood of the bank manager, whether or not they like foreigners. etc. I know a guy who told me the same as you and he also said he was able to get credit for a couple of brand new cars all with his tourist ACR card. But It was a useless ID card for me trying to do anything in Pasig City. I was always told, sorry, you are just a tourist sir!   

• Like 1

Coolcalm
Posted
Posted

I’m single. Yeah I purchased a real exit ticket to be safe. It was $40 so no big deal.

• Like 1

Coolcalm
Posted
Posted

Yeah I’ve been to the Philippines enough now I see how things are not always the same for everyone. I’ll just see what I can do with it. Either way I’m not to worried about it, I can manage without a local bank account if needed.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 11/16/2017 at 7:02 AM, Coolcalm said:

I will purchase an exit ticket that shows departure within 21 days. I’ve been to Philippines several times but never longer than 30days. 

There is no requirement for the onward ticket to be dated within 21 or 30 days. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 11/15/2017 at 3:23 PM, Coolcalm said:

The reason I ask is because I read that in order to get an ACR-I card (helps with bank accounts) I need 2 visits to the immigration bureau.

The real problem you want to solve is opening a bank account. You may be able to open a bank account without an ACR-I card. Back in 2012 I was able to open a bank account with BPI four days after arriving. I opened both a USD and a peso account. I did have to do my first visa extension, which I was able to do four days after arriving. The bank wanted to see the good conduct letter you receive each time you renew your visa.

Each bank and even each branch in that bank can have different policies regarding opening of an account. One tip someone mentioned is visiting the bank dressed well and asking to see the manager. If you have a nice sum to deposit on opening like 3k-5k USD they may be more flexible in their requirements for opening an account.

Good luck.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Why don`t you open an account in a Phills bank in the US.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, earthdome said:

The real problem you want to solve is opening a bank account. You may be able to open a bank account without an ACR-I card. Back in 2012 I was able to open a bank account with BPI four days after arriving. I opened both a USD and a peso account. I did have to do my first visa extension, which I was able to do four days after arriving. The bank wanted to see the good conduct letter you receive each time you renew your visa.

I had a similar experience in Tagbiliran around the same time,  BPI let me open an account without an ACR-I card of any stripe.  That may have changed though, my guess is it has.