Fastest way to ACR-I card

ITGeek
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 11/16/2017 at 5:23 AM, Coolcalm said:

Hello fellow expats. I’m new here. 

I wanted to get some experiences around a very specific question.

I will be staying in the Philippines for 8-10 months. I am aware of the extension process but can’t find info on my specific questions. What I’m trying to figure out is if it’s better for me in my situation to get the 59 day visa here in Los Angeles before I leave. The reason I ask is because I read that in order to get an ACR-I card (helps with bank accounts) I need 2 visits to the immigration bureau. Does that mean that if I get my 59 day visa here in US before I leave, that I will then have to visit the IB in Philippines 2 more times before I can get the ACR card? If so, that would mean I would have to buy a total of 3 flight outbound tickets? This means it would maybe take longer to get the ACR card? Does the visit to the Philippines Embassy here count as a visit?

The other option is I apply for the 38 day (59days total) extension after I arrive. Then after that apply for the 2 or 6 month and ACR card. Would that get me the ACR card faster? As in 2 visits and two outbound flight confirmations instead of 3? I know it’s more expensive in PH for the 59 days but I’m willing to pay if it’s faster to the ACR-I card.

I hope this makes sense and someone has experience and recommendation on best option.

I wouldn't recommend going to PH Consulate in US, it's not needed.  Besides, I don't think they issue tourist ACR-I cards for tourists at PH Consulates overseas.  Your best option is to just book round trip ticket (or exit ticket) and get the 30-day stamp upon arrival in PI's.  If you are flying into NAIA, then you can pay for the 59-day extension at BI checkpoint.  A couple of weeks before your 59-day extension expires, go to an approved BI field office closest to you.  There you can pay for 6 mo extension and your ACR-I card for TVV (tourist visa).  You're not required to have ACR-I card to open bank account in PI's.  Your passport and a foreign drivers license ID's are good enough.  That's how I was able to open accounts at BDO and RCBC.

Update:  I forgot to mention that if you're a US citizen, you will be required to comply with IRS FATCA requirements and report all foreign assets.  The bank may require you to complete relevant IRS forms when opening accounts to remain in compliance.

Edited by ITGeek
Updated with IRS info.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bows00
Posted
Posted
On 11/16/2017 at 9:46 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

There is no requirement for the onward ticket to be dated within 21 or 30 days. :thumbsup:

So if I am planning a 59 day trip with round trip tickets they will let me through immigration?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, bows00 said:

So if I am planning a 59 day trip with round trip tickets they will let me through immigration?

Yes I have confirmed this before. The whole point is that you have an onward ticket. 

2017-11-28_165546.jpg

Gary D
Posted
Posted

"You're not required to have ACR-I card to open bank account in PI's.  Your passport and a foreign drivers license ID's are good enough.  That's how I was able to open accounts at BDO and RCBC."

When did you open your account, an ACR-1 card has been required for some time now. You may get lucky, many haven't.

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Gary D said:

"You're not required to have ACR-I card to open bank account in PI's.  Your passport and a foreign drivers license ID's are good enough.  That's how I was able to open accounts at BDO and RCBC."

When did you open your account, an ACR-1 card has been required for some time now. You may get lucky, many haven't.

^^ this.

virginprune
Posted
Posted
On 11/16/2017 at 11:01 AM, Howard said:

I would get the 59 day visa in LA if you can get that, it will save you at least one trip to BI! One thing I want to make you aware of is the ACR card that you get issued is a TOURIST ACR card. I found it to be quite useless as far as opening a bank account and things like that at any major bank in the Philippines, I also couldn't use it to get a drivers license. It wasn't until I got a permanent resident ACR card that banks would even consider opening an account for me. I've talked to others who said they had a different experience but my guess is maybe they got an account at one of those local Barangay banks like my wife used to use(Royal bank of montalban or something like that where I wouldn't put my money!). I hope it works out for you! 

I am on a tourist ACR. I had no problem at all opening an account with BPI, a major bank here. I have friends here on the same status that have accounts with other major banks. Also no problem of availing a local driving licence either. YMMV

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, virginprune said:

I am on a tourist ACR. I had no problem at all opening an account with BPI, a major bank here. I have friends here on the same status that have accounts with other major banks. Also no problem of availing a local driving licence either. YMMV

It's probably one of those situations where the rules change, and those who were ok under the old rules are oblivious to any change.

I used my ACER to open an account here, but not sure If I'd offered up a driver's license instead as ID I'd have been ok.

I did need a document showing home address though.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

It's probably one of those situations where the rules change, and those who were ok under the old rules are oblivious to any change.

That's it, members have reported recently that they are tightened up so what might have been last year is not necessarily the same now.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 11/16/2017 at 9:48 AM, AlwaysRt said:

Instead of explaining where your 'facts' are off, maybe it is easier to explain what I did on my last entry.

In April 2017 I had a return ticket in May which I canceled after checking in at the departure gate in the US (but before takeoff and received a full refund from Expedia).

On arrival in Manila I asked the immigration officer for a 59 day Visa BEFORE I handed over my passport. I was sent to the office and had the 59 day in about 20 minutes. I went to the Dumaguete BI office 14 days before expiration and applied for a 6 month extension and ACR card. I received my passport back in a week and the card was available in 2 weeks. I have not gone back again yet as my extension does not expire until December. (ACR card is required for a stay over 6 months so had to be issued with the 6 month extension)

That is very useful information thank you.  Looking for alternatives with minimum fuss.  You had no problem getting this obviously? Very good thinking on the bogus return ticket, wish I had thought of that coming here.

• Like 1

Coolcalm
Posted
Posted
On 11/16/2017 at 11:46 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

There is no requirement for the onward ticket to be dated within 21 or 30 days. :thumbsup:

Thanks I got a real ticket exiting 50 days out and received a 59 day visa here in Los Angeles. I leave for the Philippines tomorrow. Thanks to all.

• Like 2