Get Off Your Butts... Learn Tagalog!!!

MikeB
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, bows00 said:

I have committed to retire in the Philippines in 2018, so part of that commitment includes learning their language - including attending classes if that would help. 

Many an expat (and would-be expat) has "committed" to this, I would wager not 1% achieve any degree of real fluency, although I met many who thought they did. Many reasons: the hundreds of dialects and sub-dialects, no real rules re: grammar,  the fact that almost all foreigners are retired (at least temporarily) and learning anything new requires diligence and discipline. Regardless of intent, most expats last 5 years or less so you're learning a language that is confined to one region of a small country most people can't find on a map. I put some considerable effort into it at first, by the end I could usually pick out enough words to know what was being said but having a meaningful 2-way conversation of more than a few words, forgetaboutit. Not trying to dissuade or discourage anyone from this noble endeavor though, it passes the time.

• Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, bows00 said:

As an expat, do you ever come across a situation where your significant other (SO) family and friends gets together -  all is fun... but you can't understand half of what they are saying?  And even worse, you can't communicate your thoughts or point of view?  Time to learn the language right?  But the choice is yours.  But most expats take the lazy route and lean on the fact that most Filipino's speak English and don't bother to learn their language.    

And worst of all... are there times where you feel alienated?  I bet most of you do... 

I made up my mind that I do NOT ever want to be in that predicament.  I have committed to retire in the Philippines in 2018, so part of that commitment includes learning their language - including attending classes if that would help.    

If you can't communicate, your limited to hanging out with other expats, unless your one of the lucky ones that married an adequate English speaking partner... which based on my experience, are pretty rare.  Just my thoughts...

Bows, I agree it's a real asset to be able to speak the local language. It has been a real help for me. Just make sure that you're learning the language of the island that you plan to live. Not all expats at a certain age have the ability to learn though possibly. If one has hearing loss, picking up the nuances of a language can be challenging I'd imagine. Here in Cebu, the Cebuano language is in it's purest form.  Cebuanos are proud purists, and refuse to speak Tagalog for the most part. and would prefer English. Get out to other Visayan regions, there will be a mix of languages, or marked differences in how words are pronounced. In Davao City for instance they speak Visayan, but with a lot of Tagalog mixed in. It must be difficult to pick up for many, although not impossible if the strong desire is there. Finding a good teacher is not always easy either.  Many Filipinos in urban areas speak quite good English, but get out into the provinces, and you'll experience much limited proficiency. From my experience, many Cebuanos speak a shortened abbreviated Bisaya, so grammar and some words are dropped from conversation. There is a drive lately for Cebuanos to better focus on a "deeper" understanding and use of the original language, so that it won't be lost over time.

Yes, for some I think laziness, and lack of interest in the local language is evident, but for these other various reasons it might be challenging for some.

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, bows00 said:

As an expat, do you ever come across a situation where your significant other (SO) family and friends gets together -  all is fun... but you can't understand half of what they are saying?  And even worse, you can't communicate your thoughts or point of view?  Time to learn the language right?  But the choice is yours.  But most expats take the lazy route and lean on the fact that most Filipino's speak English and don't bother to learn their language.    

And worst of all... are there times where you feel alienated?  I bet most of you do... 

I made up my mind that I do NOT ever want to be in that predicament.  I have committed to retire in the Philippines in 2018, so part of that commitment includes learning their language - including attending classes if that would help.    

If you can't communicate, your limited to hanging out with other expats, unless your one of the lucky ones that married an adequate English speaking partner... which based on my experience, are pretty rare.  Just my thoughts...

My extended family speaks Bisaya, why should I learn Tagalog?

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Queenie O. said:

Yes, for some I think laziness, and lack of interest in the local language is evident, but for these other various reasons it might be challenging for some.

Sorry Queenie but i disagree, we all have I think an interest in the local language but not much Interest in a language that is Of NO use in the Area we have chosen to live , I am 70 soon and have no desire to move So.................:571c66d400c8c_1(103): 

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

My wife is from Masbate where they speak Masbateno, somewhat similar to Tagalog. When she worked in Cebu City she had to learn Cebuano. When we moved to Argao (2 hours south) she had great difficulty understanding what the hell they were saying because the Cebuano had so much slang and shortened words and the educational level, in general, was lower. When native-born citizens struggle to communicate in one region of their own country to the next something is seriously wrong.

Learning the language is on the bucket list of every new foreigner. Rarely happens but I wouldn't call it "laziness". There are other priorities. Eventually, through a kind of subliminal osmosis, you will be able to communicate with just about everyone. Takes about 20 years.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Sorry Queenie but i disagree, we all have I think an interest in the local language but not much Interest in a language that is Of NO use in the Area we have chosen to live , I am 70 soon and have no desire to move So.................:571c66d400c8c_1(103): 

Well Jack if a person lives in Dumaguete like you, the Tagalog language would not be of any use there I would agree. That's why I suggested to Bows that he chooses the right language to work on. I was under the impression that Dumaguete was the location that he was interested in settling in. Not sure.

Maybe an interest in the language is there for many, but I'd still say that a feeling that speaking the local language of their area is not a priority for some. English is satisfactory for their needs for various reasons.

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Jake I am familiar with the raised eyebrows, puckering lips, but what's with the slightly open mouth ( no rudeness ) and the two finger tap on the forearm?

( yes I've lead a sheltered life ) :89: I never knew they used sign language as well

A slightly open mouth usually means I dun't understand your English even though he openly said "yes Kuya John, I understand your English".  I'll message you about the other part.....he, he.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • I'm Confused 1

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

For me it should be Cebuano to learn. But it is so difficult to find useful learning material or books for this language. And the slangs and shortenings in online text makes it not easier to learn it.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife speaks three filipino languages. The native language of the area of the mountains where she grew up. Ilocano which is a regional language on Northern Luzon and Tagalog. She also speaks English. From my observation the language used can be generational. Lolo's and Lola's where she grew up generally only speak the local native language. Those who are middle aged know the local language and some ilocano and tagalog or english depending on their level of education. Young people are more likely to have the best English skills and are more fluent in Tagalog.

The Philippines has dozens of distinct languages and hundreds of dialects. I can't speak my wife's native language at all but I can tell when it is being spoke because it is very distinct from either Ilocano or tagalog.

Hasn't tagalog only been the official language of the Philippines for 30-40 years?

Edited by earthdome
  • Like 2