Get Off Your Butts... Learn Tagalog!!!

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I agree with all the posts, at a age you have trouble remembering what day of the week it is, not much sense trying to learn a new language. I have an app on my phone that translate Tagalog to English and vise versa, not too bad in it's translation either. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
Just now, Clermont said:

I agree with all the posts, at a age you have trouble remembering what day of the week it is, not much sense trying to learn a new language. I have an app on my phone that translate Tagalog to English and vise versa, not too bad in it's translation either. :thumbsup:

Dang Clermont, it's bad enough the Aussie English gets me tongue tied.  However, over the years I have studied and learn to appreciate your colorful slang.  Good on ya mate!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

No Jake, it ain't Aussie lingo, its bloody Pommy gargon.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I lived in Thailand for 8 years and was no hope of learning that language, other than a couple of dozen words.  I got nye there and I am sure I will get bye here.  My wife speaks excellent English and looks after the communication division in the household. I will gradually pick up a little here and there, just to get me bye.  I have met a few Filipinos whom I meet from time to time socially and we communicate in English, no problem.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I was in court in Dalaguete and a lawyer was speaking Tagolog,the judge told him to speak English or Visayan as she could not understand Tagolog.The Visayan in Dalaguete is different from the Visayan in Argao (20km away)so learning a language here is very difficult.I have tried to speak some Visayan here in Dumaguete but again it is slightly different so I gave up.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, JDDavao said:

Hmmm...Kare Kare, Bistek, Kaldereta, Longganisa, Afritata, San Miguel. Hey, I'm fluent! :hystery:

Fluent? you actually have a masters degree well done haha

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have no interest in learning any of the languages/dialects here. Everyone who i have to communicate with can get by in English - that's one of the reasons I came here. If they can't, and if i could speak some of the local language, the level we'd all be at wouldn't make for an interesting discussion anyway IMO.

Anyhow, why learn a language where half of the sentence is in one language, and the other half in another! Actually, based on that, I'm half-fluent already!

It's true that English and Tagalog are the two designated languages here, but I often get into debate over the question of people stating they are native English speakers - i don't believe they meet the definition but I may be wrong.

It's not really that unusual to have a myriad of languages spoken in a country thus making English the common language - India is another example.

Edited by hk blues
Addition
  • Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Clermont said:

Could not agree more mate, too old.  

• Like 1