In The Dead Of Night Hail Mary Chanters

russellmania
Posted
Posted

Ok..I have been coming to the Phils since 2005,retired here in 2015. This is a first for me. Lately the last 3 saturday nights at exactly 4am I hear HAIL MARY, over and over by 5 or 6 filipino women walking slowly down my street. I sleep with windows open most nights because this neighborhood is quiet. No dogs barking etc etc. I hear them before they get walk past my place holding candles and it seems as they turned the corner I hear them singing for the 1st time and not xmas carols. Is this a normal tradition or what?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, russellmania said:

Is this a normal tradition or what?

Yes, at certain time of the year and in certain locations it is common for Catholics to parade along the streets of Liloan, Cebu at 4:30 am on their way to early morning mass (at least they did when I lived there).  There is often one or two guys with a drum at the end of the procession and these are the most annoying ones.  I cannot remember the name for it and it is annoying if one sleeps with the window open and I have not seen it in other cities.   Is this happening in the Metro Cebu area or somewhere else?

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

I looked it up Russ

I cant find any special reason for that at this time of year, but I guess it beats roosters any day. :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yes, at certain time of the year and in certain locations it is common for Catholics to parade along the streets of Liloan, Cebu at 4:30 am on their way to early morning mass (at least they did when I lived there).  There is often one or two guys with a drum at the end of the procession and these are the most annoying ones.  I cannot remember the name for it and it is annoying if one sleeps with the window open and I have not seen it in other cities.   Is this happening in the Metro Cebu area or somewhere else?

When I was living in Guadalupe it was the same. I lived just off V. Rama and about 200 - 300 meters down from the church.

Actually, for a few days prior, it seemed like any time there was a religious holiday there would be some type of procession in the wee hours. After the first night I’d just close my windows before going to bed and keep them closed until after the holiday. 

• Like 2

russellmania
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I think I would still hear it if my windows was close and aircon on. Their chants are in between regular talking volume and shouting volume. It would be obvious with anyone with common sense speaking that loud at 4am would disturb others. The next time they do it,I will speak up.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I pay absolutely no attention all this  Do as they wish but awl come on, do we need this ? NO! :angry:

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, russellmania said:

The next time they do it,I will speak up.

You are unlikely to get a response. If you do you probably won't like it.

• Like 2

russellmania
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Gary D said:

And they wont like my response to them also

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, russellmania said:

I think I would still hear it if my windows was close and aircon on. Their chants are in between regular talking volume and shouting volume. It would be obvious with anyone with common sense speaking that loud at 4am would disturb others. The next time they do it,I will speak up.

The wife tells me it is a religious chant  and they do their rosaries as they walk, you're a gamer man than me gunga ding if you disrupt their  religious chant. Mostly done around religious ceremonies. 

• Like 3

russellmania
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Clermont said:

The wife tells me it is a religious chant  and they do their rosaries as they walk, you're a gamer man than me gunga ding if you disrupt their  religious chant. Mostly done around religious ceremonies. 

Im not gonna be rude about it. Example..Excuse me ladies! But if you don't mind my bedroom window is right here and its 4am and your chanting is disturbing my rest. If its all the same to you can you turn down the volume as you pass or detour to another street? if they are reasonable people it shouldn't be a problem. My street is a cul-de-sac horseshoe,sort of in and back out to the main road. NOT in the path to the Guadalupe Church. I would understand if my street leads directly to the church and they HAD to walk pass my place to get there

• Like 1