CNN Hoop Nation Philippines - Willie Miller

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I ran across this CNN story about Willie Miller, PBA star.  He was born in Olongapo and I found the story quite interesting.  I know most of the places where they are walking around in the video.  This is #12 of a series.

Here is the series:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hoop+nation+cnn+philippines

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Well, here is a strange coincidence!

I don't think I had ever heard of this guy Willie Miller before I watched the above video last night.  If you watch it, the interviewer is Rafe Bartholomew, an American who apparently has lived in the Philippines for quite a while and speaks fluent Tagalog.  So the video is in Tagalog with English sub-titles.

I picked up my 8th grade daughter at school today and we were talking about my lack of Tagalog, in a humorous way.  I said, "Oh, I watched a video last night and the Amercan guy speaks good Tagalog".  And I mentioned that he was interviewing the famous PBA star, Willie Miller.

She said "Willie Miller?  Really?  His son is my classmate!"

She had mentioned a long time ago that one of her classmates was the son of a PBA player, but I thought nothing of it.  She says "Dre" (Alexandre), her classmate,  is also a good basketball player.

• Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

OMW--a little more info about this interviewer, Rafe Bartholomew.. He came to the Philippines with a Fulbright scholarship and over three years followed a PBA team, and traveled around the Philippines documenting the sport of basketball, and what an impact basketball has had on the Philippines and it's people.

I own and enjoyed this book, and think that many would enjoy reading it.   It's called,

Pacific Rims   Beermen Ballin' in Flip Flops and the Philippines Unlikely Love Affair With Basketball

Published by the New American Library

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Queenie O. said:

OMW--a little more info about this interviewer, Rafe Bartholomew.. He came to the Philippines with a Fulbright scholarship and over three years followed a PBA team, and traveled around the Philippines documenting the sport of basketball, and what an impact basketball has had on the Philippines and it's people.

I own and enjoyed this book, and think that many would enjoy reading it.   It's called,

Pacific Rims   Beermen Ballin' in Flip Flops and the Philippines Unlikely Love Affair With Basketball

Published by the New American Library

Yes, and in addition to the documentary series on CNN, he also has another one from National Geographic.  They are all on You Tube.  

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife and I started watching the series from the first episode. Interesting. The episode with the bakla's vs the midget's basketball game really gives some insight into filipino culture. Thanks for posting this.

Edited by earthdome
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, earthdome said:

My wife and I started watching the series from the first episode. Interesting. The episode with the bakla's vs the midget's basketball game really gives some insight into filipino culture. Thanks for posting this.

I'll have to check that one out!