5 YEARS?

Jeff R Us
Posted
Posted

A few days ago I read a quote on this forum that's been stuck in my head. I can't remember who quoted it so I am unable to paste it. He stated that, on average, Expats leave the Philippines after 5 years. I have never heard or read this before.  I am really curious as to the reason. Can someone please elaborate. Thanks.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

My guess a statement like that can not be proved or there is no reliable source to back up a statement. 

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

and all have been here over 5 years

embarrased  man.jpg Guilt makes me write again as I have just Remembered our Friend Norbert (Nutz2u2) who because of serious problems on both Health and Financial fronts had to go Home after only 18 months But Leaves a House to return to when things get better, I know that if things had been Different he would not have gone Back so apologies on that.

Had to put the record straight here. :thumbsup:

Sherry (His wife) will be amongst us after christmas I am informed:smile:

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

at least 21 personal Friends  and all have been here over 5 years

You are quite correct. You mention:

42 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

you are more likely to meet long Stayers if you mix with long Stayers

Also true enough.  Now the question becomes what did the opener mean?  I think he is asking why so many leave, so in tales of people who left I have included all the people I know who left, whether personal friends, or just casual acquaintances, or even people I didn't really like :whistling: and I'm glad they're gone :hystery:.

And since we are analyzing this.  There are some who leave for a period of time (I'm thinking of one who went home to take care of his family for 5 years) and then come back to Philippines after that family member passed on.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

5 years is a long time but also it can be a very quick time too, there are lots of reasons some one may want to leave or are forced to leave, but then again there could be lots of reasons to stay too.

It will be my time soon to move to somewhere else other then England that has been my home for over 59 years, My reason  for leaving here, i would like to try somewhere else while i can.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jeff R Us said:

A few days ago I read a quote on this forum that's been stuck in my head. I can't remember who quoted it so I am unable to paste it. He stated that, on average, Expats leave the Philippines after 5 years. I have never heard or read this before.  I am really curious as to the reason. Can someone please elaborate. Thanks.

I've said (written) it a time or 2 but it's hardly original. You see things differently after a period of time. All the initial excitement is long gone and this new and exotic place is no longer such and all the previously mildly annoying things are driving you crazy ie, insane procedures, corrupt agencies, poverty, noise, burning trash, litter, bad roads, homicidal and suicidal drivers, foreigner tax, and a million other things. The pendulum between good and bad has swung far to the latter. I left for another reason. My passport says I arrived May 19, 2011 and left Sept 15, 2016. 5 years, 4 months.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Maybe in his experience he knew a bunch that left... this place is not for everyone.  I am coming up on my 5 year mark (Valentine's Day).  I am still doing fine.  I could see if there are things that bother you, be it roosters, "mini" sound systems, family problems etc, that 5 years could feel like a life sentence.  I don't like the noisy mini sounds systems, but built my house to help block it, so no worries.  :tiphat: 

Out of the dozen or so expats I know personally, there was one that left within his first year, one died in his 3rd year, and one went back to the US for medical treatment and stayed a couple years before coming back here.  The rest seem happy enough staying here.  So, really only 1 left the PIs.   Your mileage may vary...

• Like 3

Jeff R Us
Posted
Posted

I can fully understand the many reasons for leaving which I believe are legitimate. What stuck in my head was the 5 year time frame. I am thinking that this is or was a personal perspective as opposed to factual data. I take it most of the ""long stayers" agree with me. Thanks for the input.

• Like 3