5 YEARS?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Because of the 3 year  Visa waiver period of 3 years, many I feel, only do the Visa run once, get fed up and never get beyond the 5 years if they have not met anyone to settle down With!.

JMHO but :571c66d400c8c_1(103): 

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Because of the 3 year  Visa waiver period of 3 years, many I feel, only do the Visa run once, get fed up and never get beyond the 5 years if they have not met anyone to settle down With!.

JMHO but :571c66d400c8c_1(103): 

That seems about right.What about the people who stay but all they do is complain about everything,why don`t they leave it might give expats a better reputation.

Edited by sonjack2847
added text
  • Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jeff R Us said:

I am thinking that this is or was a personal perspective as opposed to factual data. I take it most of the ""long stayers" agree with me.

Yes, it is definitely a personal perspective, but assuming most of the "long stayers" agree is another personal perspective.

I believe most of the people I know who left did not plan on leaving in 5 years.  Its one of those numbers that just happens, like the 7 year itch is a number that just seems to happen.  Hope that is understandable.  I am saying I agree its not factual data but I think it really happens that way. :SugarwareZ-037:

• Like 2

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, MikeB said:

I've said (written) it a time or 2 but it's hardly original. You see things differently after a period of time. All the initial excitement is long gone and this new and exotic place is no longer such and all the previously mildly annoying things are driving you crazy ie, insane procedures, corrupt agencies, poverty, noise, burning trash, litter, bad roads, homicidal and suicidal drivers, foreigner tax, and a million other things. The pendulum between good and bad has swung far to the latter. I left for another reason. My passport says I arrived May 19, 2011 and left Sept 15, 2016. 5 years, 4 months.

Sounds like someone was living in the wrong location. A life in the Philippine means to keep it simple. Bad drivers are everywhere on this planet. Insane procedures are existing also in many countries. Poverty is increasing in nearly every country on Earth. Foreigner tax exists also in many countries. Noise and littering are bad things also existing in many countries but can be circumvent by choosing the right place. There are some stuff bad in the Philippines but also many good things. Else there would be less expats on the Philippines if most things would be being bad only.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Dr. Shiva said:

Sounds like someone was living in the wrong location.

I lived and visited many locations, maybe they were all wrong?

A life in the Philippine means to keep it simple. Bad drivers are everywhere on this planet. Insane procedures are existing also in many countries. Poverty is increasing in nearly every country on Earth. Foreigner tax exists also in many countries. Noise and littering are bad things also existing in many countries but can be circumvent by choosing the right place.

The OP asked about a quote he had heard that the average expat leaves the Philippines after 5 years and I gave some of the reasons I thought that was. I'm aware these things exist everywhere. If I made a list of the bad things where I currently live (US) it would be just as bad, maybe worse. But different. Good & bad are everywhere, it's our perception that changes - over time.

There are some stuff bad in the Philippines but also many good things.

I never said there aren't good things, did I?  

Else there would be less expats on the Philippines if most things would be being bad only.

There are 2 reasons there are so many expats in the phils: 1) it's cheap 2) you probably know the other.

Edited by MikeB
toned it down
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MikeB said:

I lived and visited many locations, maybe they were all wrong?

The OP asked about a quote he had heard that the average expat leaves the Philippines after 5 years and I gave some of the reasons I thought that was. I'm aware these things exist everywhere. If I made a list of the bad things where I currently live (US) it would be just as bad, maybe worse. But different. Good & bad are everywhere, it's our perception that changes - over time.

I never said there aren't good things, did I?  

There are 2 reasons there are so many expats in the phils: 1) it's cheap 2) you probably know the other.

Thanks for clarification. I did experienced some quite quiet locations on the Philippines like Siquijor or in an area in Cebu it was surprisly quiet due nearly no traffic in the area. Littering was an issue in Cebu. There was several recommendations for me to search a living place in a quiet and clean middle to high class subdivision. I know that several will not fulfill that or are not being managed well. One of my primary point is to check if the area have a working garbage collection system. It lowers the chance of experiencing littering and trash burning in that area.

Because of the issues with cars, plates and driver licenses I tend to use public transportation. One less issue to handle. Keep it simple and there would be less hassles.

The phils are cheap but that depends on the standard which someone want to keep upright. There are other countries in SEA which are even more cheaper than the Phils but have lower standard also. 

Edited by Dr. Shiva
  • Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Like some of you have said keep it simple, there is no ruler to measure your expectation of a foreign country, nor is there a simple answer to judge your long tivity in your stay in the PI's. And as been said, there is a variety of issues why people stay and leave the PI's, I for one like the heat and the people, also rub a person up the wrong way in your own country, they will react much the same way as the PI people. Treat your mates back home fairly and you can have a pleasurable beer with them, how many expats have a pleasurable beer with PI's, their wouldn't be many that don't. It is only the adjustment that some people can't make, that see them heading home. 

• Like 1

Jeff R Us
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Rather than "most expats leave after five years", it says that most leave within five years and that if you make it five years you will most likely remain here.  The thinking was that five years gives you time to get past the initial "tourist phase" and begin to see the Philippines as it really is.  The poster when on to say that if you were the kind of person who could not adjust to the many issues here during that five year period they would eventually build up to a level of frustration that you would leave.

Well stated! I think this makes the most sense to me. Thank you, Mike J.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

The estimate was that half could not make the adjustment and would leave within the five years.

Yeah :thumbsup: that sums it up.  thanks.