5 YEARS?

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
On 11/19/2017 at 10:56 AM, Jeff R Us said:

A few days ago I read a quote on this forum that's been stuck in my head. I can't remember who quoted it so I am unable to paste it. He stated that, on average, Expats leave the Philippines after 5 years. I have never heard or read this before.  I am really curious as to the reason. Can someone please elaborate. Thanks.

I've heard similar things said about Hawaii, that the average person only lasts a year after they move there. I agree with others here who have said that the 5-year timeframe is "common knowledge" (in this case, also known as "a guess").

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

A big factor that I haven't seen touched on is how much more expensive it is to move back from the Phils than it is to move over.

I came single in 2011 with a couple of suitcases and a balikbayan box or 2 following in a couple months. It was relatively very inexpensive to get started with an apt, furniture, etc. Transportation is cheap, didn't buy a car for a year. Barely touched my savings the entire time I was there.

When I came back last year I had 2 dependents along (couldn't get rid of em), several suitcases and a dog. Starting over from scratch, no family assistance. All the costs of the Spousal visa, down payment for house, reliable car (a necessity), furniture, medical insurance (you don't want to be w/o it), child school,  and so many other things costs so much more here. Many many $thousands.

I wonder how many would like to go back (for whatever reasons) and can't afford to?

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, MikeB said:

I wonder how many would like to go back (for whatever reasons) and can't afford to?

A lot of truth in that but for me  a Big NO

• Like 1