Report Corrupt Tourism Company & Police in Oslob

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Maybe you can go to TripAdvisor and shit on them.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I think we can all understand where Notright is coming from, at least I hope we can. I think he is right in principle, but principles don't get you anywhere, especially here in the Philippines. 

As has been said, this place is not for everyone, and the 50% (for arguments sake) return rate prove that. 

Another way to look at it, perhaps if more of us - expats/locals - were willing to make a stand, then in time things would change. I can imagine the old hands shaking their heads and smiling at that comment, but it's just another perspective. 

Grin and bear it doesn't work for all, and actually doesn't really work for anybody but it's what we do to get by and live our life in peace.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, hk blues said:

were willing to make a stand, then in time things would change.

Totally agree but must add that we have to be careful which battles we choose,

Yesterday for instance, I ordered and paid for a full car Clean, in, out, under chassis wash and protection spray full works to include a wax, you are number 7 she said, Ok! we paid the 750 peso and left the keys and went shopping. some 5 hours later after no text from them, we went to pick up the car, Not even Started and it was starting to get dark, Ok so I have a moan, we do it now sir, OK! but if it is rushed and not done properly it will be brought back in the Morning, (Come on guys cleaning a car and waxing is not a good Idea in dim light is it?) So this Morning at 7.15am back it goes, OK Sir we will put it right. Lady you will do it all again in front of me. BUT Sir, no Buts miss, or I take photos of Yesterdays mess and it goes where it hurts your business ( Caltex)   1.5 Hours later, Sparkling! 

Yes we can get things done but as I have said, we do need to choose the battles, I won this one, and did not shout one bit, they know when things are wrong but fear of losing a job is always in their mind. I fully appreciate notrights attitude but sit and wonder what i would or any of us in that situation would have actually done, Given the time element I most probably would have said OK! give me a ticket for tomorrow. If I could not use it maybe sold it to another in the queue ( I guess there was a Queue)

I will say that as foreigners we have to just go with the flow on many things but will add my wife would have made a lot bigger fuss than the OP did but of course she is Filipino and :571c66d400c8c_1(103): Kin hard headed:wink: This is why we normally let them do the talking :thumbsup: on my issue the Garage Manager knew better  not to mess :smile: I was a happy bunny and he knew that and has kept a customer.

Edited by Jack Peterson
Spelling AGAIN
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Notright said:

But you guys took the time to explain why I could've really gotten myself in a really bad situation

You may want to read the book "Culture Shock! Philippines: A Survival Guide to Custom & Etiquette".  I found it to be very helpful in understanding some of the nuances of interpersonal relationships here in the Philippines.  Available from Amazon, also in electronic format.

You might also consider using google and do some further reading on the subject of hiya.  Try search terms: hiya Filipino culture.

Finally you may want also do some reading using the search terms: Smooth Interpersonal Relationships Filipino culture.

Of most value to your future safety would be an understanding of hiya.  

• Like 2

Notright
Posted
Posted

You know I had a Filipino friend egging me on telling me to 'make them squirm!'. But when I asked him if he will help me when the owner files a complaint against me with the BI he avoided answering directly! 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Notright said:

You know I had a Filipino friend egging me on telling me to 'make them squirm!'.

Are you sure he was a friend?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Notright
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Are you sure he was a friend?

My mother used to always say 'talk is cheap'. 

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Notright said:

I must honestly say I'm overwhelmed here by the replies. I was expecting replies along the lines of 'If you don't like it go home!'. But you guys took the time to explain why I could've really gotten myself in a really bad situation. I wasn't expecting that. I like being the wrong person to mess with but you're right. It is time to let some things go. 

Thank you

Congratulations Notright on seeing sense. I like you get extremely infuriated with a few things over here but I've also had to bite my lip many a time. I'm now finding more and more that I'm advising others to put things down to experience and move along. 

If there's one things a lot of locals have in equal proportions to my frustration is their ability to dig their heals in, and sadly due to the nature of the beast foreigners very rarely come out looking good.

Corruption and the crab mentality is rife here. For many if they can make money at the expense of others they will, whether it's a lawyer promising to sort legal issues out, real estate agent getting you a deal or some police helping you out of a tricky situation. Even simple things in life here when you ask to get them remedied you will get the answer "Yes Sir" then nothing changes. It gets to the stage where you realise you are one against an army. You may change one persons attitude but there's a thousand others ready to step in and replace that person.

I don't have the link but there was an elderly New Zealander killed a couple of months ago after trying to treat a land dispute as if he was in a first World country. He bad mouthed a Mayor, the police and locals and was demanding people got fired for being unprofessional. A few bullets later in broad daylight and the issue was solved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1