Christmas is coming, what gifts

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, RBM said:

Here in my little neck of the woods Xmas means DRUMS DRUMS DRUMS

I can only wish for the quiet of drums.  Here it is the "gas cannons" where they make a tube and fill it with any kind of combustible gas and then ignite it.  Its kids doing it but they know I have bad nerves so when I am walking they take great joy in setting them off behind me and watching me jump.  Its instinct and I am unable to control the "duck" reflex when I hear an explosion (or the anger it generates) so I try to walk quickly away before I lose it on the little bastards.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I can only wish for the quiet of drums.  Here it is the "gas cannons" where they make a tube and fill it with any kind of combustible gas and then ignite it.  Its kids doing it but they know I have bad nerves so when I am walking they take great joy in setting them off behind me and watching me jump.  Its instinct and I am unable to control the "duck" reflex when I hear an explosion (or the anger it generates) so I try to walk quickly away before I lose it on the little bastards.

We don't have the carolers or drums or cannons in our area.  It is always very quiet here.

We did have genuine church choir carolers a few years ago.  They were not looking for any money or handouts.

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

We don't have the carolers or drums or cannons in our area.  It is always very quiet here.

We did have genuine church choir carolers a few years ago.  They were not looking for any money or handouts.

Hey can I move in with You? 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

They were not looking for any money

Are you sure?  Even the church choirs coming to my gate have been looking for donations to the church, in my experience.  The differences I saw are:  There are more of them in the group, they sing better, and they expect 100 donation rather than a few pesos.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

:hystery: Tight Arse then :whistling:

As Steve Wool would say" no just careful".

Edited by sonjack2847
spelling
  • Haha 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Are you sure?  Even the church choirs coming to my gate have been looking for donations to the church, in my experience.  The differences I saw are:  There are more of them in the group, they sing better, and they expect 100 donation rather than a few pesos.

No, but I don't think we gave anything.  I could be wrong as it was 3 years ago, I think.

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, RBM said:

Hey can I move in with You? 

Subic Bay former U.S. Navy housing.  You got to pay to play, but well worth it to me!  We don't have the normal Philippine neighborhood annoyances, but we do have annoying monkeys.

bows00
Posted
Posted

Our family and friends solved the spending problem by having a Christmas party with everybody bringing one grab bag gift (limited to $10).  We all gather by the tree, draw numbers and randomly pick and open gifts .  There are variations to this, where one could steel someones already opened gift instead of picking from the tree.  

Everybody has fun without breaking the bank.  But we do end up splurging on food, fine wine, champagne and beers...

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 11/28/2017 at 11:07 PM, bows00 said:

Our family and friends solved the spending problem by having a Christmas party with everybody bringing one grab bag gift (limited to $10).  We all gather by the tree, draw numbers and randomly pick and open gifts .  There are variations to this, where one could steel someones already opened gift instead of picking from the tree.  

Everybody has fun without breaking the bank.  But we do end up splurging on food, fine wine, champagne and beers...

This is what our family did for years, but only for the adults.  We still buy the kids stuff.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 11/28/2017 at 11:39 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Funny, I got hit up by a caroler tonight.  We were dropping my daughter's schoolmate off at her house in Olongapo, and as soon as I jumped out of the car to greet her dad, an 8-9 year old girl ran up and started singing!  Dad waved her off but she gave it another try just before I left.  This was after 10 pm.

Afterwards I realized what the deal was.  My daughter's classmate is the one who lives a few doors away from the house I posted that was elaborately decorated for Halloween.  Now it is elaborately decorated for Christmas.  I was hoping the lights would be on tonight so we could see it, but they must shut it down around 10 pm.  So I'm guessing the little carolers hang out around this house and when all the lookeeloos come by, they start their caroling, hoping for a few pesos.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1